Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Hungarian Sweets: Vargas Strudel-Cake
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29548 at 3:47 pm on Apr 11, 2017
I have a new (old--1970) Hungarian Cookbook that I’m pouring over: “The Cuisines of Hungary” by George Lang.
NINE CHAPTERS were required to present Hungarian desserts! LOL
• Dessert Creams
• Deep-Fried Desserts
• Hot Noodle Desserts
• Pancakes (Palacsintak)
• Homestyle Cakes
• Cookies, Small Cakes, and Pastries
I haven't made this yet, but it is so unusual I wanted to share:
The strudel chapter contains: cottage cheese, apple, poppyseed, walnut, almond, potato (sweet with vanilla sugar and lemon), wine, chocolate, cabbage (savory), mushroom, and two strudel-cakes: Varga-style and pot-cheese.
The cakes are like nothing I’ve ever seen. Here is the recipe for Vargabéles (Varga Strudel-Cake):
• 2 cups flour
• ½ pound butter, melted
• 1 whole egg
• 1 ¾ lb. cottage cheese
• 5 eggs, separated
• 1 cup sugar
• ½ cup sour cream
• ¼ cup white raisins
• ½ vanilla bean, pulverized
• Vanilla sugar
Prepare a strudel dough from ¾ cup flour, ¼ tsp. melted butter (!), pinch of salt, and ¼ cup water. Let the dough rest 30 minutes.
Stretch the dough to a thin sheet and tear off the thick edges.
Sprinkle the dough with melted butter, then fold it carefully. Keep folding it and sprinkling melted butter on each layer until the folded oblong becomes the size of your baking pan.
Heavily butter the chosen baking pan and put the folded strudel packet into the bottom of the pan
Preheat oven to 375F.
Prepare a noodle dough from 1 ¼ cups flour, 1 whole egg, a pinch of salt, and 1 cup water. Knead the dough well and roll it out quite thin. Cut into ¼” strips.
Boil the noodles until tender and rinse in cold water.
Melt 2 tbls. Butter in large skillet and saute the noodles for a few seconds.
Put the cottage cheese through a sieve and mix in 5 egg yolks, the sugar, sour cream, raisins, any remaining butter, and the pulverized vanilla bean. Stir in the sautéed noodles
Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the cheese-noodle batter.
Pour the filling over the top of the folded strudel dough in the baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
About 10 minutes after the strudel is out of the oven, sprinkle it with vanilla sugar.
Note: In some households, the filling is put between flat layers of dough, almost like making an Italian lasagna. Other “housewives” roll the strudel around the noodle filling the same way as with a regular strudel filling.
Note 2: This “househusband” is thinking that the filling needs a tsp. of ground cinnamon.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29548. Hungarian Sweets: Vargas Strudel-Cake - Richard in Cincy - 3:47pm on 04/11/17 (5)
- Love that cookbook! It's my go to for the basics. I never venture into the baking chapters [NT] - barb_b - 6:08pm on 04/11/17
- barb, is that the same George Lang that you shared the poppyseed filling? [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:58pm on 04/11/17
- Yes... I have 2 versions, not sure which one I posted for you. But thats the author! [NT] - barb_b - 9:01pm on 04/11/17
- I have and love this cookbook too. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 11:27pm on 04/11/17
- I have it as well and have made a couple of things from it as well. When I make - oli - 1:17am on 04/12/17