Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Swooning over recent batch of Chicken Noodle Soup made w/Costco
Joined: Jun 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #29559 at 7:37 pm on Apr 13, 2017
rotisserie chicken leftover skin, bones and juices with secret ingredient - Trader Joe's Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth carton.
Skin, defat and debone bird (warm is easiest - we save the meat to top salads and sliced for sandwiches and casseroles), break apart the wings. Add remains to a large stockpot with 4 cups of cold water (microwaving some of it lightly in the bottom of the trays the chicken came in to capture jelled juices), 1 can of Swanson low sodium chicken broth, 1 32 oz box/carton of Trader Joe's Low Sodium Vegetable Stock, 2-3 skinned carrots cut into 1/2"x3" pieces, 1-2 stalks of celery cut into 1/2"x3" pieces, 1/2 med/large onion sliced, 1 bay leaf, 4 peppercorns, dash of Penzy's Red & Black or cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp crumbled dry thyme leaves, couple of grinds of garlic salt (or add a minced clove). Bring to a low boil and let simmer covered for 2 hours, stirring on occasion. Toss in several chicken breasts to poach in the simmering stock near the end of the 2 hours (for use in soups, casseroles or salads). Strain stock - pick out the chicken breasts and carrots. Taste stock and add garlic or sea salt, if needed.
To all/part of the stock, add cooked dumpling noodles, pulled poached chicken chunks (not the rotisserie chicken), and cooked carrot chunks. Check for salt - add bouillon, garlic or sea salt to taste. Serve German style over mashed potato mounds or straight up!
OR mix in a can of coconut milk to some (or all) of the stock along with Thai red or green curry paste or sauce, grated fresh ginger, lime juice, fish sauce, pulled chicken, green onions, chopped greens (spinach, kale, collards) and half a 24 oz bag of PictSweet seasoned frozen Stir-Fry Chinese Veggies (or their Szechwan or Teriyaki blends) right before serving. Adjust the salt and also spice level with Sriracha/cayenne to taste. Colleen
Link: Stock from 2 Costco Rotisserie Chickens
Other messages in this thread:
- 29559. Costco members - Discount on their sandwich sized croissants 'til 4/17 Monday [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 7:24pm on 04/13/17 (6)
- Swooning over recent batch of Chicken Noodle Soup made w/Costco [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 7:37pm on 04/13/17
- I am so in love with Trader Joe's Low Sodium broths - judy-mass - 10:42pm on 04/13/17
- Good to know - thank you! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:27am on 04/14/17
- Do they taste like real chicken, veggies? So many of the other brands I have tried - KarenNoCA - 1:37pm on 04/14/17
- Not like homemade but - colleenmomof2 - 4:56pm on 04/14/17
- Agreed tj's is my favorite. --- and the only veggie one I'll use. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 8:35pm on 04/15/17