Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
My new sandwich: Grilled Richard Sandwich
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29581 at 6:50 pm on Apr 22, 2017
Dark German Rye studded with rum raisins, caraway and cinnamon. Slathered with cherry jam, butter grilled with swiss cheese. I am oinking.
Make this bread:
•2 cups water, warm, 100-115 degrees F
•2 pkgs (5 tsp) Active Dry Yeast
•1/4 cup brown sugar
•1/2 cup molasses
•3 1/2 cups whole grain Rye Flour
•3 Tbsp cocoa powder
•1 Tbsp finely ground espresso powder
•2 Tbsp Wheat Gluten
•1 Tbsp Caraway Seeds
•2 tsp salt
•1/2 cup butter
•2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups Bread Flour
1 cup raisins soaked overnight in 1/4 cup dark rum
1 Tbls cinnamon
Put water in a large bowl. Add brown sugar and active dry yeast. Let yeast develop for about 5 minutes. Add molasses, rye flour, vital wheat gluten, cocoa and caraway seeds. Beat well, then let sit for ten minutes. Mix in melted butter and salt. Mix in 1 cup of Best For Bread Flour. Stir in enough of the remaining Best For Bread Flour to make soft dough and knead for 8-10 minutes. Put dough in an oiled bowl, cover with damp cloth, and allow to rise in warm place for one hour or until doubled. Divide the dough into two pieces. Gently knead to work out air bubbles and spread out into large rectangle. Sprinkle each half with half of the cinnamon and raisins. Roll up and form into loaves and place in two greased loaf pans. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise another hour or until the dough is nearly doubled. Bake in a 400º preheated oven for 25 to 28 minutes. Immediately remove from pans and cool on a wire rack. Makes 2 loaves
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet.
Slice bread, spread 2 slices of bread with cherry jam.
Top each slice with Swiss cheese to fit.
Place in melted butter in skillet, cover with lid, and grill on low heat until crust is crispy and cheese is melted. Stack the two halves together, cheese sides facing and matching tops and bottoms. (this I how I do grilled cheese. Much faster and better results that assembling, grilling, and flipping.)
Tried this out on a couple people and they were all blown away. This flavor profile really works and is off the chart.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29581. My new sandwich: Grilled Richard Sandwich - Richard in Cincy - 6:50pm on 04/22/17 (6)
- You had me at Grilled Richard! This sounds so good. - RuthAB - 10:49am on 04/23/17
- 1/4 cup. I edited the recipe. So good I had it for breakfast with my tea! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 12:17pm on 04/23/17
- Thank you Richard. [NT] - RuthAB - 2:37pm on 04/23/17
- Hello Ruth! It's very nice to see you. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:11pm on 04/23/17
- Hello Marilyn! I want to thank you for posting your lovely recipe for the [LINK] - RuthAB - 3:40pm on 04/23/17
- Thanks for the info on cooking the halves separately - genius! :-) [NT] - LisainLA - 11:46pm on 04/24/17