Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Penne with Mushroom Pesto
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #29702 at 8:38 pm on Jun 20, 2017
This recipe uses about 10 ounces of mushrooms.
I have made this many times and we always love it!
I have also used the mushroom pesto on pieces of fish (like bass) that were baked in parchment with a schmear of the pesto on top and sitting on a bed of baby spinach.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Penne With Mushroom Pesto
Recipe By :Cooking Live
Serving Size : 4
Categories : Food Processor Cooking Healthy And Hearty
Pasta Tried & True
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
10 Ounces Fresh White Mushrooms, Chopped Fine -- see notes
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Dry Sherry -- optional
1 Clove Garlic, Mashed To A Paste With -- 1/4 teas. salt
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts -- see notes
1/4 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves, Washed & Spun Dry -- packed
1 Pound Penne Rigate, Or Other Tubular Pasta
In a 6-quart pot, bring 5 quarts salted water to a boil for pasta.
Make pesto: In a 10 to 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Saute mushrooms with Worcestershire and sherry, salt and pepper to taste, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
In a food processor, puree mushroom mixture with garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add parsley and blend until parsley is chopped fine. Pesto keeps, surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, 1 week.
Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water and drain pasta.
In a large bowl, whisk the pesto and 2/3 cup reserved cooking water. Add pasta and toss well, thinning pesto, if necessary, with remaining reserved cooking water.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 175 Calories; 18g Fat (90.8% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 37mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Serving Ideas : Great with a salad and crusty bread.
NOTES : The easiest way to finely chop the mushrooms is in the food processor.
I used walnuts instead of pine nuts and it worked very well. .
Every good dish deserves a good pot.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29702. ISO ideas for using 1 1/2 lbs sliced shrooms, that I did not use this weekend. Too hot for soup! TIA [NT] - barb_b - 2:21pm on 06/20/17 (17)
- Sautee lightly - freeze [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:17pm on 06/20/17
- Smitten's Mushroom Bourguignon (with my comments) [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:28pm on 06/20/17
- I have some beautiful white mushrooms I forgot to saute for Fathers Day - KarenNoCA - 3:40pm on 06/20/17
- You reminded me of a favorite - asparagus, red pepper, mushrooms, - colleenmomof2 - 8:15pm on 06/20/17
- These Mushroom Cheese Rolls are yummy but kinda rich. I made - orchid - 3:58pm on 06/20/17
- Does anyone have a recipe for a vegetarian mushroom burger than is primarily mushrooms? [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:30pm on 06/20/17
- oops! Sorry Barb - I meant for this to be a new post...not to take away from your request [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:31pm on 06/20/17
- Great request! I'm interested in this, too. Hope someone can help! [NT] - colleenmomof2 - 8:16pm on 06/20/17
- Stuffed? Sliced and used for a fresh mushroom salad [NT] - Charley - 7:40pm on 06/20/17
- REC: Penne with Mushroom Pesto - judy-mass - 8:38pm on 06/20/17
- Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding [NT] [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 9:54pm on 06/20/17
- Recipe - Baked Parmesan Mushrooms - blog dam delicious.net [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 11:10pm on 06/20/17
- Sautee, butter, eat. - Richard in Cincy - 4:11am on 06/21/17
- Or eat as is! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 9:44pm on 06/21/17
- Mushroom Fried Rice - Sylvia - 12:09pm on 06/23/17
- Mushroom Pate - Sylvia - 12:13pm on 06/23/17
- Thanks everyone! Made mushroom pate... Appreciate the ideas. (Thx sylvia, I didn't use your rec, - barb_b - 11:12pm on 06/26/17