Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Sour Cherry Bourbon Cordial
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29723 at 1:10 am on Jul 7, 2017
For 1 quart:
3 pounds very ripe Montmorency or other tart red cherry
1 cup sugar
4 strips of lemon zest
2 cups vodka
2 cups bourbon
Add all to a large jar. Stir with a wooden spoon, crushing the cherries slightly (I add the cherries to the jar by the handful and give them a good squeeze before I drop them in.
Cover the jar tightly and store in a cool, dark place for 1 month (I put them in a room in the basement where it is dark nearly all of the time. I also let it go 3 months before straining).
Strain the bourbon through double cheesecloth until it is clear. Crush the cherries (potato masher), tie up in a cheesecloth bundle, and let drip like grape jelly. Add the drippings to the strained cordial. Pour into decorative bottles, (I save old bourbon and other nice looking bottles to bottle the homemade stuff), cover tightly, and store in a cool, dark place for a couple weeks before serving.
Recipe from "Enchanted Evenings" by John Hadamuscin (he wrote some great cookbooks if you haven't checked them out--do! They're sort of "downhome goes to town and gets gussied up").
Other messages in this thread:
- 29723. To Richard in Cincy: Story about the Margahooties: Ave a half gallon of the mix to a friend of mine - CynUpstateNY - 8:31pm on 06/29/17 (7)
- How very funny! Thx for my chuckle this morning, CynUpstateNY..... [NT] - wigs - 1:48pm on 06/30/17
- LOLOL!!!! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 10:43pm on 06/30/17
- Ha! Someone is going to need some aspirin soon. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:24pm on 06/30/17
- Instructions? Who needs instructions! - Richard in Cincy - 2:23pm on 07/01/17
- Recipe please for the Cherry Bourbon Cordial :) [NT] - Tess - 1:03pm on 07/05/17
- Oh, yes, recipe please for cherry bourbon cordial! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 11:35pm on 07/06/17
- Sour Cherry Bourbon Cordial - Richard in Cincy - 1:10am on 07/07/17