Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I think I posted my big deal on a sous vide a month or so ago and have now tested it.
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #29745 at 4:10 pm on Jul 11, 2017
I'm in love. Mine is a nutri-chef and this morning it was on sale on Woot for $69 but is gone now (that is what I paid for mine). Here it is on Amazon for $80, and the Annova is on the Prime day sale for a good price.
I am not interested in spending big money on this so when this became available, seemed worth a try. More than true!! ;o)
I cannot believe how EASY it is to use--set it and forget it. As for seeing a difference in a restaurant meal, I don't think it is so much that but the degree of control you have over what you are preparing. YOu get a perfect rare piece of meat--or well done, if that is what you want. You can do it ahead of time (like restaurants doing a lamb shank, for example) and finish in minutes.
I made a 3.5# top round roast in mine. I cooked it at 131* for 8.5 hours. I have pictures but can't load. It was PERFECTly rare up to the outside of the roast. I had marinated it (for flavor) in some salt, pepper, and chile powder and when carved, this outer covering gave a nice "crust". I carved it thin for sandwiches and it was wonderfully flavorful and tender.
My son did a leg of lamb and it came out a perfect medium rare throughout. He has a salamander torch to give the outside a burnt crust--or it can be done on the grill.
I plan to do a rack of lamb--on another board a chef sous vided for an hour. What could be easier.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29745. Any comments on Sous Vide cooker? - Richard in Cincy - 3:51pm on 07/11/17 (7)
- I think I posted my big deal on a sous vide a month or so ago and have now tested it. - Charley - 4:10pm on 07/11/17
- the one I bought is on amazon prime sale now [LINK] - Tess - 5:09pm on 07/11/17
- Many people like the Annova but I will point out something I noticed after I - Charley - 8:01pm on 07/11/17
- Did you purchase one yesterday, w Prime Day? I looked at them, but never hit the "buy" button. - barb_b - 11:52am on 07/12/17
- Here is a review of several immersion sous vide circulators if you are interested in - Charley - 12:51pm on 07/12/17
- No, just not convinced I need it. Also - Richard in Cincy - 7:44pm on 07/12/17
- You apply the crust either with a grill or griddle or torch. I sure don't need it - Charley - 1:13am on 07/13/17