Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Lana in FL||
And My oh My! Blueberry Pie from Sandy in Baltimore
Joined: Oct 9, 2007
Posted to Thread #29822 at 3:34 pm on Aug 27, 2017
The most fresh-tasting pie ever, and so easy!
My Oh My! Blueberry Pie!
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pie
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 Cups Whole Fresh (ONLY FRESH) BLueberries -- About 2 pints
3/4 Cups Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 Teaspoon Butter -- DONT SUBSTITUTE
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
9 Inch Baked Pastry Shell
1 Egg White -- Whipped up a bit with
1/8 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water
Use a Pillsbury "unfolded" type shell, you only need half the package. Let it sit till it's at room temp. Then, fit it to your pie pan, and pinch the crust around the edges of the pie pan. Then, take your fork and prick it all over, sides and bottom. Bake it for the 10 or 12 minutes till it starts to get a little brown. Take it out of the oven and now brush it all with a pastry brush with the egg-white/sugar/water mixture, and put it back in the oven to set, and then do it again. This makes the crust VERY crisp/tender and the sugar/egg wash makes the crust golden, glossy and sweet.
Let the crust rest, and get cool. It doesn't take long, so you go on ahead and fix the filling at this point.
Combine sugar, salt, water, and cornstarch in a medium sized saucepan, mix it up well, then stir in 1/2 of the blueberries and cook over medium heat until bubbling and the berries start to pop. Stir to prevent the stuff from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove it from the stove and stir in the butter and lemon juice. Then let it all sit and cool a bit.
Now, take the other 1/2 of the FRESH blueberries and scatter 'em in the fresh baked pie shell, smooth 'em out nice and even. Then, take the cooked blueberry stuff and pour it over the fresh berries in the pie shell. Smooth it all over and then set it in the fridge for at least two hours, but it's better to leave it for four hours.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : this blueberry filling is SO simple! But, you will agree that it's one of the most delicious idea's you've tasted in a long time.
The crust holds together like nothing you ever sliced, and the blueberries and such stay right in place. You gotta put a scoop of 'nilla ice cream on this dish.
The recipe will work as well with peaches. SEE MY OH MY! PEACH PIE!
Link: My oh My! Blueberry Pie from Sandy in Baltimore
Other messages in this thread:
- 29822. While I'm at it can we start a blueberry thread? What's your favorite blueberry recipes? [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 8:10pm on 08/26/17 (29)
- I'll tell you that blueberry jam is a REAL treat. [NT] - Charley - 12:16am on 08/27/17
- I like to add lightly cooked blueberries to blueberry jam - colleenmomof2 - 1:11pm on 08/27/17
- From the box, rinsed and in the mouth :-) - colleenmomof2 - 1:09pm on 08/27/17
- charlie's Blueberry cheesecake, with blueberry jam on top! [LINK] - Lana in FL - 3:32pm on 08/27/17
- And My oh My! Blueberry Pie from Sandy in Baltimore [LINK] - Lana in FL - 3:34pm on 08/27/17
- Yep, Definitely agree with this one. [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:34pm on 08/28/17
- REC: Blueberry Buckle - judy-mass - 8:38pm on 08/27/17
- REC: Blueberry Wine Sauce - judy-mass - 8:40pm on 08/27/17
- REC: Blueberry Carrot Picnic Cake - judy-mass - 8:42pm on 08/27/17
- My family's all time favorite muffin recipe... Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins - judy-mass - 8:44pm on 08/27/17
- My mom's Blueberry Crunch Cake (from Elaine Wiggins)--see link [NT] [LINK] - wigs - 5:54pm on 08/28/17
- Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake posted by Sandi In Hawaii - wigs - 6:20pm on 08/28/17
- trying to get the recipe from daughter [IMAGE] - pmassell_93 - 2:42am on 08/29/17
- Oh, that must have been a very tasty cake for a non-cake lover to have enjoyed. I look forward to - wigs - 2:35pm on 08/29/17
- Adorable. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:55am on 08/30/17
- my smile for the day:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:14am on 08/31/17
- neither of us could find the recipe but I'm pretty sure it had sour cream... [LINK] [IMAGE] - pmassell_93 - 8:30pm on 08/31/17
- Your daughter has good taste. I've made the raspberry version from Epi. Very [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 12:29am on 09/01/17
- good find looks like it was adapted from there [NT] - pmassell_93 - 2:36pm on 09/01/17
- Fresh Blueberry and Lemon Cream Tart - wigs - 6:27pm on 08/28/17
- REC: CI's BEST BLUEBERRY PIE WITH FOOLPROOF PIE DOUGH as posted by deb-in-MI - wigs - 6:40pm on 08/28/17
- Rec: Blueberry Kuchen - rhoward2va - 8:23pm on 08/28/17
- Maine Blueberry Syrup - rhoward2va - 8:24pm on 08/28/17
- Mini Blueberry Crumb Tarts - rhoward2va - 8:26pm on 08/28/17
- Blueberry French Toast Cobbler, - rhoward2va - 8:29pm on 08/28/17
- Blueberry Dutch Baby - rhoward2va - 8:31pm on 08/28/17
- Steve2/LA's Blueberry Lemon Bread....delicious [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 12:45am on 09/01/17
- Rec: Blueberry-Lemon Tart - Pat-NoCal - 1:02am on 09/01/17
- Recipe: Blueberry Crunch Coffee Cake [NT] [LINK] - Olga_D_Ont - 9:43pm on 10/16/17