Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake posted by Sandi In Hawaii
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #29822 at 2:20 pm on Aug 28, 2017
Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup cake flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for preparing pan
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, plus extra for preparing pan
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
Zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 cup blueberries (or more, up to 3 cups)
To make topping: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and cake flour until combined. Add butter in small pieces and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Divide in half and reserve.
To make cake: Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter and flour a 10 inch springform pan (or a 12-cup Bundt pan).
In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well with each addition. Add yolk and mix well. Add vanilla, sour cream and orange zest, and mix until well-incorporated. Slowly add flour mixture, mixing well.
Divide batter in half. Spread half into prepared pan and top with 3/4 cup blueberries and half the topping mixture. Spread remaining batter into pan and top with the remaining blueberries and topping mixture. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes (more like 75-80 minutes, or 90 minutes if blueberries are frozen?), until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean (toothpick test doesn’t work – comes out clean even if it’s not done).
Let cool in pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Makes 8 servings (8 very generous portions! Can you imagine a 10” x 3” cake, cut into 8 pieces? Those are huge, Starbucks-sized pieces!)
Old Comments from Gail’s:
Sandi in Hawaii: Posted: Jun 18, 2002 3:29 AM
Here's my new favorite cake - REC: Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake
The only tweaks I did was to use IMO, an imitation sour cream (can't use the real stuff), skipped the pecans (hubby hates nuts), skipped the orange zest (hubby wouldn't like that either), used a full bag (16oz?) of frozen blueberries (hubby really likes that!) I think I'll also double the topping next time.
Oh yeah, and I had to cook it longer than the 60-70 minutes (more like 75-80 minutes). Not sure why I had to cook it longer - my springform pan was 10 1/2", not the 10" one called for. I had actually taken the cake out at 70 minutes (toothpick came out clean) and let it sit.
When I unmolded the cake at least an hour later, I flipped it over onto a cookie sheet, and noticed that the center of the bottom of the cake looked a little greasy and uncooked, so I reheated the oven and threw it back in - upside down. Came out perfect!
Unlike the time I tried a Martha Stewart blueberry cake in the same pan. I tested it with the toothpick -it seemed fine, so I just took the cake with me to a party, on the springform pan. Imagine my horror when we discovered the cake was totally raw in the middle while trying to cut it! I mean really raw, white batter in the middle. My fault - it called for about 5 or 6 cups of blueberries, and I used them straight from the freezer. Given the quantity of blueberries in that recipe, the batter must have been way too cold to cook properly! Good thing we were with good friends - we just laughed about it, grabbed our forks, and ate the edges!
cherie in so cal: Posted: Jun 18, 2002 2:46 PM
sandi--do you think this would work in a bundt pan? have a gorgeous new one i'm dying to try! (nt)
Sandi in Hawaii: Posted: Jun 19, 2002 2:41 AM
After I made the cake, I checked my handy dandy reference guide, Joy of Cooking to see what other pan I could use>>
According to Joy, the capacity of a 10" x 2" springform is 11 cups (the 10" x 2 1/2 or 3" is 14-16 cups.)
My pan is 10 1/2" x 3", so I would guess the capacity closer to the 14 than the 11 cups.
The capacity of a 9" x 13" is 16 cups.
The Bundts vary widely: 6 1/4 x 3 1/4 5 cups 8 1/4 x 3 1/4 6-7 cups 8 x 4 8-10 cups 10 x 3 3/4 12-14 cups I think if you have the big bundt, it would work quite well.
I buttered and floured my springform pan, and the cake came away from the sides easily, so unmolding from a Bundt should be okay. Hope this helps!
hAndyman: Posted: Aug 12, 2002 10:58 AM
A delicious Blueberry Coffeecake posted by Sandi in Hawaii!
Thanks to Sandi for posting the recipe "Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake" found at http://www.startribune.com/stories/436/284698 0.html (COMN for original recipe; see Sandi's post at #45246 in archives). I made it pretty much as written, but added more blueberries, and will up it to ~3 cups next time. It's what a blueberry coffeecake should be - delicious. Thanks for posting, Sandi. Cheers! Andy
Caryn/Indiana aka Wigs: Posted: Sep 4, 2002 10:17 AM
ISO Sandi in Hawaii--I made your Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake last nite at #45246, and it was superb! The only thing I changed in the original recipe was to use 2 cups total of fresh blueberries, and Sandi, you are right--it took mine about 80 minutes in the oven to reach doneness using the 10-inch springform pan called for with all ingredients at room temp B4 mixing. But boy, was it ever worth the wait! Thanks so much for posting this one . . . Caryn
cheez's comments posted to Thread #12029 at 10:34 pm on Oct 5, 2008
YUM!!! This was quite the success! I followed your tips, Sandi, including doubling the blueberries and also double the streusel... can't imagine making it any other way. DH said "you don't plan to give any of this away, do you?"... he knows me well. Success!
Other messages in this thread:
- 29822. While I'm at it can we start a blueberry thread? What's your favorite blueberry recipes? [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 4:10pm on 08/26/17 (29)
- I'll tell you that blueberry jam is a REAL treat. [NT] - Charley - 8:16pm on 08/26/17
- I like to add lightly cooked blueberries to blueberry jam - colleenmomof2 - 9:11am on 08/27/17
- From the box, rinsed and in the mouth :-) - colleenmomof2 - 9:09am on 08/27/17
- charlie's Blueberry cheesecake, with blueberry jam on top! [LINK] - Lana in FL - 11:32am on 08/27/17
- And My oh My! Blueberry Pie from Sandy in Baltimore [LINK] - Lana in FL - 11:34am on 08/27/17
- Yep, Definitely agree with this one. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:34pm on 08/28/17
- REC: Blueberry Buckle - judy-mass - 4:38pm on 08/27/17
- REC: Blueberry Wine Sauce - judy-mass - 4:40pm on 08/27/17
- REC: Blueberry Carrot Picnic Cake - judy-mass - 4:42pm on 08/27/17
- My family's all time favorite muffin recipe... Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins - judy-mass - 4:44pm on 08/27/17
- My mom's Blueberry Crunch Cake (from Elaine Wiggins)--see link [NT] [LINK] - wigs - 1:54pm on 08/28/17
- Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake posted by Sandi In Hawaii - wigs - 2:20pm on 08/28/17
- trying to get the recipe from daughter [IMAGE] - pmassell_93 - 10:42pm on 08/28/17
- Oh, that must have been a very tasty cake for a non-cake lover to have enjoyed. I look forward to - wigs - 10:35am on 08/29/17
- Adorable. [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:55am on 08/30/17
- my smile for the day:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 6:14am on 08/31/17
- neither of us could find the recipe but I'm pretty sure it had sour cream... [LINK] [IMAGE] - pmassell_93 - 4:30pm on 08/31/17
- Your daughter has good taste. I've made the raspberry version from Epi. Very [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 8:29pm on 08/31/17
- good find looks like it was adapted from there [NT] - pmassell_93 - 10:36am on 09/01/17
- Fresh Blueberry and Lemon Cream Tart - wigs - 2:27pm on 08/28/17
- REC: CI's BEST BLUEBERRY PIE WITH FOOLPROOF PIE DOUGH as posted by deb-in-MI - wigs - 2:40pm on 08/28/17
- Rec: Blueberry Kuchen - rhoward2va - 4:23pm on 08/28/17
- Maine Blueberry Syrup - rhoward2va - 4:24pm on 08/28/17
- Mini Blueberry Crumb Tarts - rhoward2va - 4:26pm on 08/28/17
- Blueberry French Toast Cobbler, - rhoward2va - 4:29pm on 08/28/17
- Blueberry Dutch Baby - rhoward2va - 4:31pm on 08/28/17
- Steve2/LA's Blueberry Lemon Bread....delicious [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 8:45pm on 08/31/17
- Rec: Blueberry-Lemon Tart - Pat-NoCal - 9:02pm on 08/31/17
- Recipe: Blueberry Crunch Coffee Cake [NT] [LINK] - Olga_D_Ont - 5:43pm on 10/16/17