Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
I found a hack for quick beef broth that I really like. It's from...
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29841 at 11:52 am on Sep 7, 2017
...CI and it produces good beef broth in record time, and it is very economical to boot.
I've used it for soups before, and my wife, who LOVES french onion soup, says it meets her high standards.
NOTE: I made it once as written, adding the unflavored gelatin. I don't add it anymore as I didn't see any real benefit.
Quick Beef Broth
By Cook's Illustrated Published January 2016
Why This Recipe Works
Restaurant chefs adhere to time-consuming, involved routines for making beef stock. Bones and meat are oven-roasted, water is added, and the stock simmers for hours, uncovered, while the chef skims off the impurities. Finally, the stock is strained, cooled, and defatted. This method is fine for professional cooks who have time to tend to a simmering pot all day, but most home cooks donít need such a complicated regimen. Our method requires fewer ingredients, less work, and less time than the classic method.
We prefer the flavor of 85 percent lean ground beef, but 90 percent lean beef can be used. Our winning beef broth is Better Than Bouillon Beef Base.
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
2 quarts beef broth
8 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
Heat the oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add beef to pot, breaking into rough 1-inch chunks. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and fond develops on pan bottom, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add broth and gelatin and bring to simmer, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Strain broth through fine-mesh strainer into large container, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
Makes 8 cups
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 29841. Looking for an onion soup recipe. Months ago I saw one on the internet. Looked really good but I - CynUpstateNY - 10:07am on 09/07/17 (9)
- Maybe this one from PBS. I love Julia's the best but not baked. - Charley - 11:06am on 09/07/17
- There are so many good onion soup recipes, some simple and easy, others very work intensive. [LINK] - KarenNoCA - 11:30am on 09/07/17
- I found a hack for quick beef broth that I really like. It's from... - Michael in Phoenix - 11:52am on 09/07/17
- Would that be broth or consomme.... [NT] - MoNJ - 2:20pm on 09/07/17
- Ha! [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 2:37pm on 09/07/17
- Definitely trying this, Michael! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 4:34pm on 09/07/17
- Mary Ann Esposito Recipe - Roasted Onion Soup could this be it CynUpstate [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 1:23pm on 09/07/17
- Maybe you're recalling this thread involving oven browning and Julia's recipe? [NT] [LINK] - MoNJ - 2:17pm on 09/07/17
- My sister found it. It was Nigel Slater. Thank you all! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 4:35pm on 09/07/17