Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Hey Barb, late to the party, but knowing your hub's ancestry...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29831 at 11:07 pm on Sep 10, 2017
it was probably because the meatloaf was loaded with extenders (oats, breadcrumbs, etc).
Those 19th century people were poor and to have a meatloaf was luxurious. They extended it with filler. The more filler, the looser the meatloaf, hence, fluffier.
My dear German Grandmother filled her meatloaves, in the old tradition, like Frikadellen, with big wads of bread and oats. Baked into unctuous caramelized wondrousness with baked macaroni and cheese. Grandma knew how to keep me happy whether she was scrimping or not. And when she made Frikadellen, she told us she was making her "Deluxe rich hamburgers" for us. We bought it up and ate them like we were dining at the Russian Tea Room on Filet Mignon.
I would trade one more my Grandmother's Frikadellen for all of the Russian Tea Room's fillets.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29831. request from my ds for his b-day dinner.... "fluffy" meatloaf. Any suggestions? [NT] - barb_b - 9:39am on 09/01/17 (9)
- Add more eggs and bread crumbs and don't over work the meat will - Charley - 10:03am on 09/01/17
- I add hot Italian sausage without casing - pmassell_93 - 10:35am on 09/01/17
- I keep a tightly wrapped loaf of Pepperidge Farms Farmhouse Hearty White Bread in my freezer... - Michael in Phoenix - 10:41am on 09/01/17
- Oh definitely fresh bread crumbs for meat loaf--and anything else basically. - Charley - 3:24pm on 09/01/17
- I second. Yes, don't overwork the meat! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 1:35pm on 09/01/17
- This is now my go to mealloaf recipe. It fits the "fluffy" criteria. Thanks Karen of NoCal. [NT] [LINK] - Sylvia - 10:24am on 09/01/17
- Thanks! I used all your suggestions and applied to Karen's rec posted by Sylvia - barb_b - 8:53am on 09/02/17
- Done now but another way to get a "fluffy" (maybe read "tender") is to use ground turkey. [NT] - Charley - 12:26pm on 09/02/17
- Hey Barb, late to the party, but knowing your hub's ancestry... - Richard in Cincy - 11:07pm on 09/10/17