Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Chopped Chocolate Chip Cookies from BRAVETART
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #29895 at 3:56 pm on Oct 5, 2017
CHOPPED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES from BRAVETART
A pinch of nutmeg and a sprinkling of salt amplify the butterscotchy flavor of chocolate chip cookies, while a blend of milk and dark chocolate chunks provide
alternating bites of creamy sweetness and bitter intensity. You can bake the cookies until they're golden brown and crunchy, but I prefer to pull them while they're still a wee bit pale so they stay soft and fudgy, crisp only around the
very edges. See photos on pgs 28 & 33 of BRAVETART.
Yield: 32 3-inch cookies -OR- 64 2-inch cookies.
2-1/2 cups (14 oz) roughly chopped mixed dark, milk and/or white chocolate (NOT
2-3/4 cups (12.5 oz) all-purpose flour, such as Gold Medal
2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter, soft but cool--about 65 degrees F.
1 packed cup (8 oz) light brown sugar
1 cup (7.25 oz) white sugar
2 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt (half as much if iodized), plus more
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 large egg, straight from the fridge
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set a handful of chopped chocolate aside. Place remainder in a medium bowl, sift flour on top (if using cup measures, spoon flour into the cups and level with a knife before sifting), and toss to combine.
Combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed to moisten, then increase to medium and beat
until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer running, crack in the egg and continue beating until smooth. Reduce speed to low, add flour/chocolate and
mix to form a stiff dough.
Divide into 32 1.5-oz. (2 Tablespoon) portions or 64 3/4-oz. (1 Tablespoon) portions. Arrange on parchment-lined aluminum baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between them. Sprinkle with reserved chocolate and a pinch each of kosher salt. Bake until the cookies are puffed and pale gold around the edges but steamy in the middle, about 15 minutes for large, 12 minutes for small. Or, for crunchy cookies, continue baking until golden, 3 to 5 minutes more.
Divide the portioned dough among several heavy-duty zip-top bags and refrigerate for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 6 months. Let stand at room temperature until quite soft (about 70 degrees F.), and bake as directed.
Mix It Up!
BROWN BUTTER: Ready for a total knockout? Up the butter to 10 oz. (2.25 sticks) and use 2 eggs. In a 2-quart stainless steel saucier, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Increase to medium and simmer, stirring with a heat-
resistant spatula, while the butter hisses and pops.
Continue cooking and stirring, scraping up any brown bits that form on the bottom of the pan, until butter is golden yellow and perfectly silent. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer, making sure to scrape up all the toasty brown bits, and cool until semi-solid and opaque. Proceed with the recipe as directed, incorporating the second egg after the first.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE: For soft cookies with a brownie-like chocolate intensity, reduce flour to 6 ounces (1-1/3 cups) and sift with 6 ounces (2 cups) Dutch- process cocoa powder, such as Cacao Barry Extra Brute. Prepeare dough as directed, but flatten each portion into a 3/4-inch disc. Bake 8 minutes for small cookies, 10 minutes for large.
HOMEMADE FAMOUS AMOS: Hypercrisp and crunchy, these bite-sized cookies get an extra layer of flavor and crunch from 4 oz. (1 cup) toasted pecans. Chop along with the chocolate, and proceed with the recipe as directed. Divide into 1 Tablespoon (3/4 oz) portions and bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Makes 64 cookies.
MALTED MILK CHOCOLATE: This variation is best with a blend of milk chocolates, one fairly intense and the other a touch milky, such as a mix of Endangered Species 48% and Valrhona's 32% Dulcey. Increase white sugar to 14 oz (2 cups) and omit brown sugar. Along with butter, add 1 ounce (4 teaspoons) barley malt syrup and 2-1/4 ounces (1/2 cup) malted milk powder.
MAPLE WALNUT: Toss 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) toasted walnut pieces with the flour and chocolate. Increase white sugar to 10.5 ounces (1.5 cups) and omit brown sugar. Along with the butter, add 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 3 ounces (1/4 cup) grade B maple syrup. For either size cookie, bake about 2 minutes longer than directed.
WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA NUT: Reduce chocolate to 9 oz (1-2/3 cups) of your favorite white chocolate, mixed with 7 oz (1-1/2 cups) lightly toasted macadamia nuts.
GLUTEN-FREE: Replace the all-purpose flour with 4 oz (3/4 cup) white rice flour, 4 oz (1 cup) oat flour, and 4 oz (1 cup) teff flour.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29895. Still waiting for my library BRAVETART reservation to come in, but just read this hint: [LINK] - MarilynFL - 7:32pm on 10/01/17 (12)
- Link to a snippet from Pastry and Baking magazine. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 7:32pm on 10/01/17
- my library copy is being returned because I bought the book:) - deb-in-MI - 6:18am on 10/02/17
- My reservation came in tomorrow. That book is DANGEROUS! I spent a good 2-weeks - MarilynFL - 9:04am on 10/04/17
- LOL:) - deb-in-MI - 10:35am on 10/04/17
- Marilyn - the Glossy Dark Chocolate Brownies are amazing!! - deb-in-MI - 5:40am on 10/05/17
- I'm going to get the book as well. Returned mine to the library so I wouldn't be tempted right - MarilynFL - 12:42pm on 10/05/17
- I just kept clicking around inside yr link and up popped the Chocolate Cake REC==> - wigs - 11:09am on 10/05/17
- REC: Chopped Chocolate Chip Cookies from BRAVETART - wigs - 3:56pm on 10/05/17
- I am a BIG fan of chopping up chocolate instead of chips. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:36pm on 10/05/17
- I wholeheartedly agree! I chopped chocolate 4 cookies 4 the 1st time on 7/7/17 when I tried - wigs - 8:44am on 10/06/17
- REC: Triple-Oatmeal Cookies from BRAVETART - wigs - 4:31pm on 10/06/17
- REC: Snickerdoodles from BRAVETART - wigs - 4:05pm on 10/11/17