Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Posted to Thread #29901 at 10:47 am on Oct 6, 2017
Maybe one of you experts can help me. Several months ago, I bought some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano from The Fresh Market (where I normally buy it). I made Pasta Carbonara, and it both smelled and tasted off. It had an incredibly strong odor akin to bug spray which permeated the pasta so much that it was inedible and we threw the whole thing out!
I took the remaining cheese back and the manager agreed it smelled off. They graciously replaced not only the cheese, but the rest of the ingredients I ruined. Since then, I have purchased several more containers from them with no issue. However, yesterday, the same thing happened. I opened the cheese and sniffed it before using (as I've done since the carbonara fiasco) and it had that same bug spray type smell. I even tasted it to make sure, and it had that same chemical taste as well.
I know they will refund me, but I am wondering if any of you have ever had an issue with Parmigiano-Reggiano similar to this? We like strong cheeses, and I know the regular smell of Parmigiano-Reggiano, which is not even close to this. Also, where is a good place to buy Parmigiano-Reggiano? After years of no issues, I've become very wary of The Fresh Market's offering now. Thanks for your input in advance!
BTW - This is the $19.99 per pound cheese they grate fresh in the store.
If anything can go well, it will!
Other messages in this thread:
- 29901. Parmigiano-Reggiano Question - GeorgiaRose - 10:47am on 10/06/17 (5)
- Wow, how awful! I've never had the problem and hope I never will. I buy mine at Trader Joes or at - CynUpstateNY - 11:34am on 10/06/17
- I have never experienced that. I buy the Parmigiano Reggiano from Costco. It is the real stuff - KarenNoCA - 12:23pm on 10/06/17
- Just wondering out loud, could it have been residual from cleaning the grating device? - Tess - 1:19pm on 10/06/17
- fake Parmigiano-Reggiano is big biz even at "gourmet" and high end stores - pmassell_93 - 1:55pm on 10/06/17
- I also bought (flinching at the $$) Italian PR at Whole Foods. No longer near a store I - MarilynFL - 9:05am on 10/07/17