Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
AWK, Colleen. How embarrassing.These apples were for my DH who is a non-gourmand, ie, a fast-
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #29910 at 8:08 pm on Oct 10, 2017
food lover so I merely buy, unwrap and melt a 14-oz bag of Kraft individual caramels in the top of a double boiler over simmering hot water. After melting, I stir in 2 Tbsp. of half-and-half or whipping cream (milk or water would also be fine). After washing & drying the apples and inserting popsicle sticks in the stem end, I spoon the caramel mixture down the sides of the apples. Then I roll the apples in broken toasted pecan pieces before setting each on a platter lined with buttered waxed paper or parchment paper. After cooling a bit, into the refrigerator they go.
(This "recipe"--if you can call it that(!)--is on the back of the Kraft Caramel bag along with a couple of the tweaks I listed above.)
NOTE: Sometimes I use bulk caramel which I eyeball after melting to decide if any more liquid needs to be added. Some bulk caramel brands are soft enough that you don't need much more liquid. KAF at the link below sells 5-lb. blocks of caramel.
FYI, Colleen, one time many moons ago I made homemade caramel following a recipe that called for boiled cider as one of its ingredients. I thought it was GREAT, but after sampling one of those from-scratch gourmet caramel apples, Paul told me I needn't go to so much trouble. Translation: He likes the Kraft caramel kind of taffy apples better!!! Sigh. Caryn
Other messages in this thread:
- 29910. Hello? Heeeelllllllllllooooooooo? Where is everybody? [NT] - colleenmomof2 - 1:15pm on 10/09/17 (11)
- UPDATE: We are enjoying fall in Michigan - colleenmomof2 - 1:18pm on 10/09/17
- Hi, colleenmomof2! DH & I are enjoying cooler temps in so. IN. I gutted an upstairs closet yest, - wigs - 3:29pm on 10/09/17
- Please share your caramel apple recipe, Karen! Have MI HoneyCrisps to dip - colleenmomof2 - 4:15pm on 10/09/17
- AWK, Colleen. How embarrassing.These apples were for my DH who is a non-gourmand, ie, a fast- [LINK] - wigs - 8:08pm on 10/10/17
- Oh,Caryn! Thank-you for sharing your tweaks and - colleenmomof2 - 12:20pm on 10/14/17
- colleenmomof2--U are TOO KIND! Also, try using some of yr KAF caramel block 2 crank out a batch of - wigs - 2:38pm on 10/24/17
- Sorry, I have been busy using up peaches / pears; i.e. csa stuff. [NT] - barb_b - 4:42pm on 10/10/17
- For Pears: Cathy's Rec: Pickled Pears. (Thx Cathy!) Love the flavors! [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 4:51pm on 10/10/17
- For the peaches: Durward's recipe for mango / peach chutney. Again, love the complex flarovs! [LINK] - barb_b - 4:53pm on 10/10/17
- I had fun with both recipes above, can be made in stages, and fun flavors. Both are really great, - barb_b - 4:55pm on 10/10/17
- Again, glad you like it. I have also added either slivered almonds or pistachios to these - Charley - 6:04pm on 10/11/17