Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Julia's Pommes Duchesse
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #29934 at 9:37 pm on Oct 24, 2017
From The Way to Cook by Julia Child
1½ lb. baking potatoes
3 egg yolks
2 Tbs. heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup grated Swiss cheese
A potato ricer, (potatoes mashed another way may clog the pastry tube), a pastry bag with a ½-inch star tip, 1 or 2 baking sheets, lightly buttered and floured.
Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil in salted water until tender. Drain, then put through a ricer. You should have about 2 cups.
Beat the egg yolks one by one into the warm potatoes, then the butter and cream. Season to taste. While still warm, pipe them onto the prepared baking sheets; sprinkle lightly with the cheese. Set aside at room temperature.
Half an hour before serving, reheat and brown lightly in the upper third level of a 400°F oven.
NOTE: Duchess Potatoes can also be piped as an edible border onto an ovenproof platter.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29934. To Colleen, the White Chocolate Raspberry Mousse cake, posted by MoNJ, was perfect! [LINK] - Joe - 8:47pm on 10/24/17 (20)
- Here is the Menu: - Joe - 8:55pm on 10/24/17
- Fried Sage Leaves. All purpose beer batter: - Joe - 9:08pm on 10/24/17
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Lemon Butter [LINK] - Joe - 9:13pm on 10/24/17
- Michael Chiarello's Harvest Focaccia [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 9:15pm on 10/24/17
- Julia Child's Shrimp Bisque, a variation on her lobster bisque from Mastering...Voume II - Joe - 9:17pm on 10/24/17
- Duck Ragout with Homemade Parpardelle [LINK] - Joe - 9:31pm on 10/24/17
- Rib-eye Steak with red wine reduction sauce. - Joe - 9:36pm on 10/24/17
- Julia's Pommes Duchesse - Joe - 9:37pm on 10/24/17
- Wow. That sounds so amazing, and I am sure everything was fabulous! Hope you are staying cool - LisainLA - 11:23pm on 10/24/17
- Yes, I have noticed the food court has really improved! We managed to survive yesterday - Joe - 11:46am on 10/25/17
- Wow Joe, that is some menu! Delicious dinner with friends. What could be better? [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 12:19am on 10/25/17
- What a delectable food selection! You certainly outdid yourself. A most impressive menu! [NT] - wigs - 1:36pm on 10/25/17
- Amazing Menu Joe; thanks for sharing! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 6:22am on 10/25/17
- I'm so glad you liked it. It's very festive for the holidays as well. Make ahead at it's best! - MoNJ - 7:53am on 10/26/17
- I made everything I could possibly make ahead of time! This dinner was crazy - Joe - 11:49am on 10/26/17
- Damned impressed. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:30pm on 11/01/17
- Outstanding news and menu! Thank-you for sharing, Joe! - colleenmomof2 - 9:46am on 11/06/17
- Wow! I would have worked this - Pat-NoCal - 2:12pm on 11/08/17