Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Can we talk about using dried beans, and some outstanding recipes?
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #29942 at 10:50 am on Oct 30, 2017
I will go first: Over the past two years, I have been working my way through Rancho Gordo’s excellent heirloom beans. My favorites are Christmas Lima, Royal Corona, Rio Zappe and Eye of Goat, so far.
Two weeks ago, I had a large, meaty ham hock in the freezer that I get from our local meat cutter.
I browned the ham hock well on all sides in the insert of my Crock-Pot right on the stove burner. I added just a touch of Grapeseed oil. Then removed it, set aside. Sauté one large
chopped onion, 8 garlic cloves, crushed, to the resulting juices. Add 8 ounces Royal Corona, and about 1/2 cup of Eye of the Goat beans. Add chicken stock to cover, put the ham hock back in, along with 2 bay leaves, and cooked away on high with the lid on. When the beans were almost done, I added dried oregano, thyme, a little coarse sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Then I added one 14 ounces can of organic fire roasted diced tomatoes. Give it a good stir and cook on low until the beans are done. Taste and add more salt, if needed. This was excellent, and the beans absorbed all the flavors so well in the Crock Pot. It was my first experience cooking beans in a slow cooker and I was very happy with the results.
This was served with Ina Garten’s cornbread with chili peppers. Delicious meal!
Note: Be sure to watch the chicken stock level and the beans expand while cooking. You will need to add more chicken stock as you go. I let the liquid cook down towards the end as I did not want this to be soupl.
Please tell us about a dried bean dish you love and make.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 29942. Can we talk about using dried beans, and some outstanding recipes? - KarenNoCA - 10:50am on 10/30/17 (27)
- I did the crock pot for years - pmassell_93 - 5:18pm on 10/30/17
- Absolutely--PC and now the instant Pot variety. SO easy. So good. [NT] - Charley - 8:11pm on 10/30/17
- I am a bit new to using grapeseed oil but I understand it is healthy, - KarenNoCA - 10:21pm on 10/31/17
- Dried Beans - sjs1952 - 7:23pm on 10/30/17
- Diana Kennedy's Charro Beans - Melissa Dallas - 8:46pm on 10/30/17
- Tex-Mex Beans - Melissa Dallas - 8:52pm on 10/30/17
- LOVE my instant pot pressure cooker for beans. [NT] - barb_b - 9:53am on 10/31/17
- For several years I have watched the slow cooker industry as they made changes - KarenNoCA - 1:42pm on 10/31/17
- What's funny about the instant pot is that Instant Pots are pressure cookers. . . - mistral - 2:06pm on 10/31/17
- Exactly--although I have had a PC for many many years with enough safety - Charley - 2:17pm on 10/31/17
- Things that go bang in the kitchen - Earnie - 9:33am on 11/02/17
- Oh, double ick. My mother used a PC successfully--the kind your HE teacher - Charley - 12:16pm on 11/02/17
- All the pressure cookers I have ever used all have had a rubber stopper. . . - mistral - 12:48pm on 11/02/17
- Yes, agree about the little rubber gasket. And I don't believe I'd leave an - Charley - 1:33pm on 11/02/17
- We were definitely separated at birth, Earnie. I finally donated my pot to HFH. [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:32am on 11/04/17
- And WHY would anyone choose liver as an introductory dish??? [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:32am on 11/04/17
- Actually WORSE than live!! Kidney!! What were they doing eating that!! LOL [NT] - Charley - 1:11pm on 11/04/17
- Thanks for the recipes and input, really on a bean roll right now. Its fun! [NT] - KarenNoCA - 9:56am on 11/01/17
- My favorite "special" bean is flageolet which i use in cassoulet especially. But I - Charley - 7:40am on 11/02/17
- Julia's Crockpot Boston Baked Beans. I make this often. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 9:44pm on 11/01/17
- I use small white beans for a Greek salad: small white beans cooked with - Heather_in_SF - 3:26pm on 11/03/17
- So nice to see you, H. Have missed your smile. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:50pm on 11/03/17
- Hiii! - Heather_in_SF - 5:37pm on 11/03/17
- We need a thumbs up button or something like that. Great to see you Heather! [NT] - barb_b - 8:46pm on 11/04/17
- Have 3 bags of different dried beans cued up - colleenmomof2 - 9:55am on 11/06/17