Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Thank you all....especially Pat for her digging! Due to this being a last minute cake
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #29955 at 8:27 am on Nov 14, 2017
For a 5-year old's party, the following recipe was used...which turned out to be surprisingly good.
Recipe By: Taste of Home (adapted)
1 package white cake mix
6 T. all purpose flour
1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 egg whites
1/2 cup mashed unsweetened strawberries
Whipped cream or frosting for your choice
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Beat on low speed for 1 minute or until moistened; beat on medium for 4 minutes.
2. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites and mash strawberries into cake batter. Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
I forgot to whip the egg whites—just dumped them in the mixer with everything else—and it was still wonderful. I guess it would have been a little lighter, but it was not too heavy.
The 6 T. flour are the cake mix doctor’s solution to the shrinking cake mix sizes. This recipe called for the old 18 oz. size, but the Duncan Hines box was around 16 oz., so the extra flour fixes it. (Really?!! They have to mess up all our recipes for 6 T. flour?)
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 29955. Re: thread at post 10413 on strawberry cream cake? - cheezz - 4:16pm on 11/12/17 (8)
- At the link is the Taste of the South Strawberry Birthday Cake GayR [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:33pm on 11/12/17
- Pat, Thank you for being so diligent...... [NT] - GayR - 12:35am on 11/14/17
- With pleasure, Gay! [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 2:03am on 11/14/17
- cheezz It could have been this recipe featured in Taste of the South Strawberry Supreme Cake which - GayR - 6:53am on 11/13/17
- I couldn't find the thread for 10413, but follow up on Gay's post. Maybe this one. Pretty, isn't it? [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 9:04pm on 11/13/17
- Waking up with coffee yesterday morning I had a couple - Pat-NoCal - 10:32pm on 11/13/17
- Traca, Thank you for adding the link to the recipe I never realized that I forgot to add the link. [NT] - GayR - 12:36am on 11/14/17
- Thank you all....especially Pat for her digging! Due to this being a last minute cake - cheezz - 8:27am on 11/14/17