Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Don't trust Google....... :-D
Joined: Feb 5, 2006
Posted to Thread #29988 at 3:48 am on Nov 26, 2017
So I have this friend who owns a farm and raises anilamls. I usually buy 20-30 pounds of Piemontese beef from her every year, because her meat is outstanding!
She also raises pigs. On my way up to her farm to pick up the meat I had ordered, I saw that she posted a message onm FB about having a no show for one pig. I had a quick conversation with DH (should we get half a pig too? Isn't that convenient? Yes it is), and Googled "How many pounds in a half pig" and got the answer, "around 40 to 60 pounds".
I said to DH that sure, some of our friends is going to want some of that meat (it's great quality and pretty affordable) so I called my friend and said "I'll take half of the no show pig" and added "if you have some extra gound beef from the Piemonteses I'll take what you have (I make a lot of lasagna for family get togethers...).
Turns out, pigs are heavier than Google thinks. And my friends had a lot of ground beef. I now have 150 pounds of meat in my freezer. Guess we won't be converting to vegetarianism any time soon...... :-D
"I Love Cooking With Wine. Sometimes I Even Put It In The Food."
Other messages in this thread:
- 29988. Don't trust Google....... :-D - EvaN - 3:48am on 11/26/17 (13)
- Every time I go to the store, meat cost more. Ground beef for $8? Chicken breasts for $8? - MarilynFL - 10:49am on 11/26/17
- Grind your own. My best purchase this year, other than getting a top of the - Janet in NC - 6:15pm on 11/26/17
- You know, Janet, that's an excellent point. Now that I think of it, the very, very best - MarilynFL - 11:38am on 11/27/17
- I do that... - Richard in Cincy - 8:43pm on 12/01/17
- Do you use all the fat that comes with those meat cuts? Some roasts are very fatty. [NT] - cheezz - 12:27pm on 12/04/17
- Depends on what I'm doing with it. - Richard in Cincy - 6:20pm on 01/12/18
- I just Googled "how much does a half a pig weigh and got this... - KarenNoCA - 1:02pm on 11/26/17
- I think the pigs over here are smaller. I have learned that an average pig is about 200 pounds here. [NT] - EvaN - 1:59am on 11/28/17
- I would totally agree about that but the seller of your pig would have done you a favor - Charley - 11:58am on 11/28/17
- does your friend age the beef before selling it to you? - pmassell_93 - 12:17pm on 11/28/17
- Learn something new every single day. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:38am on 11/29/17
- apparently now the big thing is "gas packing" - pmassell_93 - 11:56am on 11/29/17
- Oh, yes! In my childhood, my dad and a couple of his friends raised a steer and then - Charley - 12:25pm on 11/29/17