Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I just Googled "how much does a half a pig weigh and got this...
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #29988 at 6:02 pm on Nov 26, 2017
A typical slaughter weight is between 250-300 pounds. A 250lb pig will yield on average about 180 lbs of hanging weight. If you just take the prime cuts you will get about 120lbs of meat in the freezer. If you take the whole pig home - nose to tail - you will get about 160lbs of meat in the freezer.
My take......this is simply a general answer.....pigs come in all sizes and weights. Best to call the grower and inquire how much meat you will be getting, as they have it all weighed out and packed.
You are well stocked, for sure. It was great you had that much space in your freezer(s)
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 29988. Don't trust Google....... :-D - EvaN - 8:48am on 11/26/17 (13)
- Every time I go to the store, meat cost more. Ground beef for $8? Chicken breasts for $8? - MarilynFL - 3:49pm on 11/26/17
- Grind your own. My best purchase this year, other than getting a top of the - Janet in NC - 11:15pm on 11/26/17
- You know, Janet, that's an excellent point. Now that I think of it, the very, very best - MarilynFL - 4:38pm on 11/27/17
- I do that... - Richard in Cincy - 1:43am on 12/02/17
- Do you use all the fat that comes with those meat cuts? Some roasts are very fatty. [NT] - cheezz - 5:27pm on 12/04/17
- Depends on what I'm doing with it. - Richard in Cincy - 11:20pm on 01/12/18
- I just Googled "how much does a half a pig weigh and got this... - KarenNoCA - 6:02pm on 11/26/17
- I think the pigs over here are smaller. I have learned that an average pig is about 200 pounds here. [NT] - EvaN - 6:59am on 11/28/17
- I would totally agree about that but the seller of your pig would have done you a favor - Charley - 4:58pm on 11/28/17
- does your friend age the beef before selling it to you? - pmassell_93 - 5:17pm on 11/28/17
- Learn something new every single day. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:38pm on 11/29/17
- apparently now the big thing is "gas packing" - pmassell_93 - 4:56pm on 11/29/17
- Oh, yes! In my childhood, my dad and a couple of his friends raised a steer and then - Charley - 5:25pm on 11/29/17