Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
Roasted Carrots with Smashed-Walnut Vinaigrette is really good
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30032 at 5:27 pm on Dec 18, 2017
I made this at Thanksgiving. Food & Wine had a complicated recipe using three kinds of veggies, roasting them seperately and I decided to just make the carrots. I did use tricolor carrots but since then made it again with just orange carrots. It is really tasty, is good hot or room temp and is very nice to look at.
One of the veggies F&W called for was Brussel Sprouts- so you could use them instead of carrots.
Preheat oven to 425. Cut carrots lengthwise (use medium thin carrots not big ones) in half. Put on rimmed baking sheet and toss with a couple T of olive oil. Roast about 30 min. Transfer to a bowl. While carrots roast, whisk 1/4 c sherry vinegar with 2 tsp Dijon mustard and 1 Tbsp maple syrup then whisk in 1/2 c olive oil slowly. Toast 1/2 c whole walnut halves in a dry pan then smash them. Add to the vinaigrette. Stir in 2 T chopped parsley and 1 T orange zest. Drizzle over the carrots and serve.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30032. Help w menu. Need a side w/o pepper(s) To go with spiral ham/scalloped white and sweet potatoes. - MariaDNoCA - 4:05am on 12/18/17 (19)
- How about a broccoli salad with cranberries? Colorful,tasty and make-ahead [NT] - Anna_X - 8:14am on 12/18/17
- Maria, Epicurious Recipe Charred Brussels Sprouts w/pancetta and fig jam check the reviews [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 2:30pm on 12/18/17
- This sounds yummy! Thanks! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 3:10am on 12/21/17
- Roasted Carrots with Smashed-Walnut Vinaigrette is really good - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:27pm on 12/18/17
- Wow, I don't like carrots, but this sounds good. Gotta try soon! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 11:11pm on 12/18/17
- How about with turnips? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:32am on 12/19/17
- Or Parsnips? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:02pm on 12/19/17
- Sounds delicious, but mil can’t do the pepper in the Dijon :-( [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 3:13am on 12/21/17
- just skip the pepper Maria. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:24pm on 12/22/17
- I would avoid more root vegetables because they are sweet and the ham - Heather_in_SF - 6:01pm on 12/18/17
- I often serve carrots with ham, Heather. Never too sweet. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:39pm on 12/18/17
- roasted cauliflower - pmassell_93 - 8:53am on 12/19/17
- Roasted cauliflower is like eating candy!! unbelievably delicious! LOL [NT] - Charley - 2:43pm on 12/19/17
- Roasted cauliflower is great with dried, French Tarragon too! Wonderful vegetable - KarenNoCA - 4:09pm on 12/19/17
- nice! - pmassell_93 - 5:21pm on 12/19/17
- I love that idea. Always feel guilty tossing those away, but never tried to do anything with them. - KarenNoCA - 5:39pm on 12/19/17
- honestly, the past few years - pmassell_93 - 5:45pm on 12/19/17
- I have always chopped the stalk to roast also. Same with broccoli. ;o) [NT] - Charley - 9:14pm on 12/19/17
- You’re making me hungry! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 3:10am on 12/21/17