Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
As I'm sure most of you know, I love the "AUTHENTIC!" recipes coming out of Betty Crockerstan...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30059 at 4:10 am on Jan 4, 2018
The fridge. We've all had a laugh over it, and we continue because of the daily recipe. Today's recipe was "Kicked up a notch Syrian Hummus."
OK. I've lived in NYC and have eaten at Syrian restaurants and have visited the middle east where I've had hummus (and took Arabic where I learned how to pronounce it correctly.).
The ingredients: 1 can garbanzos. FAIL!!!!!!!!!! Not authentic!!!!
The hummus was kicked up a notch because they used 5 cloves of garlic. But then, they roasted them into sweet oblivion, so I'm not sure how it was kicked up a notch, unless it was the can you kick to the curb when you're done.
One of the most amazing things about real Mideastern food is soaking those garbanzos and grinding them raw to start your recipe. Evelyn the Goddess of Athens, is very explicit about this in her Falafel recipe. If all you have is a can, find something else to make. It truly is a game changer.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30059. Paul I made a batch of roasted garbanzo beans yesterday - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:45pm on 12/31/17 (11)
- Great idea re: drying them prior to roasting. I made a batch a few years ago w/ indian spices. - barb_b - 4:12pm on 12/31/17
- awesome. I like the hair dryer idea - pmassell_93 - 5:24pm on 12/31/17
- Me too! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:28pm on 12/31/17
- Oh...when you get them the way you like it, dust with Ras el Hanout spice [LINK] - MarilynFL - 9:42pm on 12/31/17
- I like frying them in a 1/2 " of oil. It is faster to get them crisp & they don't soak much oil [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 2:21am on 01/01/18
- We do this too BUT - dangerous - pmassell_93 - 2:38am on 01/01/18
- Made another batch. This time got the results I wanted - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:23pm on 01/01/18
- what temp ? [NT] - pmassell_93 - 7:54pm on 01/01/18
- 475 but may be crunchier than what you like. I love it though. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:27pm on 01/01/18
- I will try it - pmassell_93 - 8:47pm on 01/01/18
- As I'm sure most of you know, I love the "AUTHENTIC!" recipes coming out of Betty Crockerstan... - Richard in Cincy - 4:10am on 01/04/18