Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Is the Instant Pot magical ?
Joined: Dec 31, 1969
Posted to Thread #30068 at 6:48 pm on Jan 4, 2018
Excuse me for getting wordy here but I was really impressed with the results.
So I got the Instant Pot at Kohl's thanks to heads up deal from colleenmomof2. Nice too because my wife had fun shopping last night with the Kohl's cash and rewards from shopping. I definitely feel it is an upgrade over the Power Pressure Cooker XL. Among other things I've made rice several times. Every time it has come out perfect even when I've fiddled with the time.
Last night however I did something different. Instead of water I used a garlic ginger sauce with some added water to make the rice. My daughter had bought chicken and I thought it was drumsticks but it was frozen. So I went looking for a recipe that I could use for frozen drumsticks and came up with the one linked. When I got to the chicken it turned out to actually be thighs. I thought about it (briefly) and did the recipe anyway.
The chicken was awesome but that is not the point here.
When I ran the rice in the Instant Pot using the remaining sauce with a little added water, the rice was not done at all so I reset it and started it again. This time however the rice ran for an extended period of time and the display said "Auto" It ran for over 1/2 hour-45 minutes like this which is way longer than it normally takes for rice. I thought it was not working properly and didn't expect it to ever actually finish. My kids asked several times if it was ready and I was annoyed that my rice was a fail and fully expected to find a mushy mess when I opened the thing up. But then my son comes to me and says the rice was done and could he have some? So I went to check and it actually was done.
The weird thing was when it finally finished the rice WAS perfect except for the bottom which was a little burnt. (not burnt enough to taint the flavor of the rest of the rice). It wasn't even sticky as you might expect from those ingredients in the sauce (honey / sugar) and was not mushy.
I was really impressed. I guess it has some sort of sensor and can figure out when rice is properly done?
Link: Incredible Instant Pot Ginger Garlic Drumsticks
Other messages in this thread:
- 30068. Is the Instant Pot magical ? [LINK] - pmassell_93 - 6:48pm on 01/04/18 (13)
- I don't know if it's magical - but as a recent recipient of one [LINK] - emtd - 8:52pm on 01/04/18
- link to beef stew in the instant pot [LINK] - emtd - 8:53pm on 01/04/18
- This is the one I'm gonna do. Instant Pot chicken pho - Charley - 9:44pm on 01/04/18
- Congratulations on your success, Paul! - colleenmomof2 - 8:13pm on 01/05/18
- I hesitently tried pasta for the first time - pmassell_93 - 12:10am on 01/06/18
- Pasta, beans and yogurt are still on my IP-TTD list - colleenmomof2 - 9:21pm on 01/06/18
- I should also say that I pick my poison so to speak - pmassell_93 - 12:40am on 01/06/18
- Experimenting and not taking any failure as absolute - colleenmomof2 - 9:07pm on 01/06/18
- I tried lemon risotto. It was a bit too wet. Will try 4 minutes - emtd - 9:48pm on 01/06/18
- Me, too! The possibility/probability for perfect IP risotto exists! - colleenmomof2 - 10:07pm on 01/06/18
- The attached article and recipe is quite in-depth. I don't know enough yet [LINK] - emtd - 11:03pm on 01/06/18
- Yes~! Game changer at our home! Thanks for the rec; printed out! [NT] - barb_b - 7:03pm on 01/07/18