Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
apparently it is right
Joined: Dec 31, 1969
Posted to Thread #30063 at 6:12 pm on Jan 5, 2018
according to the author. Sorry for the confusion. In the comments on the web page it says it is wrong but then later the author corrects them (which I missed at first because the comments were hidden) and says it is right BUT she also says that foodandwine changed the recipe instructions.
this is what she said (we didn't get that "ultra silky consistency"):
Hey, y'all! It's not a typo, the pudding is indeed made with egg whites, which give it an ultra silky consistency and pronounced vanilla flavor. If anyone can describe the problem, I'd love to help figure out what went wrong.
Oh no! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I just re-read through the directions above and see that the recipe has been changed from the version that's in my book. The directions are fine up until the egg whites and dairy have been combined. From there, it should read, "Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly but not vigorously, until custard begins to thicken and bubble, about 3 minutes. Set a timer and continue whisking for 1 full minute more. This ensure that the custard gels without a starchy mouthfeel." The custard has to be held at a boil for one minute in order to thicken; I don't know why this detail was changed from the official text. I will contact someone at F&W straight away!"
Other messages in this thread:
- 30063. Made this wonderful Boston Cream Pie yesterday from Bravetart - also request for help [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 6:08pm on 01/03/18 (22)
- the mystery pudding - pmassell_93 - 7:26pm on 01/03/18
- I know - so frustrating! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 8:10pm on 01/03/18
- Isn't this it? [LINK] - desertculinary - 8:55pm on 01/03/18
- Yes! Thank you soooooo much!!!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 9:30pm on 01/03/18
- My DH **LOVES** homemade Boston Cream Pie. Thanks for the reminder. I have used the recipe - LisainLA - 11:40pm on 01/03/18
- Let me know what you think:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 1:20pm on 01/04/18
- We love homemade Boston Creme Pie. It needs to be brought back! - Richard in Cincy - 5:09am on 01/04/18
- I sure didn't eat the same dorm food as you did - LOL [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:38pm on 01/04/18
- Ditto [NT] - Janet in NC - 5:52pm on 01/04/18
- what?!? - pmassell_93 - 10:44pm on 01/04/18
- Didn't use a bean - deb-in-MI - 10:55pm on 01/04/18
- WARNING: Recipe is Wrong! - pmassell_93 - 2:59am on 01/05/18
- actually I didn't see the author responded - pmassell_93 - 3:10am on 01/05/18
- If I understand correctly - you are asking what is written in the Bravetart book? - emtd - 4:43am on 01/05/18
- thank you yes - pmassell_93 - 7:07am on 01/05/18
- Paul - I made it with the egg whites (didn't realize it was wrong) and it was delicious!! - deb-in-MI - 11:26am on 01/05/18
- Well - at least we thought it was delicious - perhaps others won't. [NT] - deb-in-MI - 1:21pm on 01/05/18
- apparently it is right - pmassell_93 - 6:12pm on 01/05/18
- Once strained I did get the silky texture. Very bummed it didn't happen for you/your daughter. [NT] - deb-in-MI - 8:30pm on 01/05/18