Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Where did I go wrong (and it wasn't the dough - lol)
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30072 at 8:29 pm on Jan 5, 2018
I did not end up with pull apart monkey bread covered in sugar/cinnamon - more like a cake (you can see breaks in the dough from the balls but not a lot of definition) with barely any cinnamon sugar.
I know what the problem is sorta.......
I ended up using only about half the butter and half the sugar/cinn mixture. The dough was completely covered butter and had a good covering of the topping (I wouldn't have known how to add more) but there was almost no buttery/cinnamon taste in the cooked product.
I'm thinking that traditional recipes have you take the dough balls and dipped them in butter and then in the cinnamon sugar. Recipes may call for a sugary glaze to pour over before it goes in the oven. This one just had a caramel sauce to serve with it.
I'll make the dough again and make rolls out of it but I won't attempt this recipe again.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30072. Sob Sob Sob - boy did I ever mess up this yeast recipe - Monkey Bread with Brioche Dough [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 5:26pm on 01/05/18 (30)
- I think it was something else, because you can still "proof" instant yeast to make sure it is good [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 5:29pm on 01/05/18
- I did read that on the instant yeast jar. Thanks Melissa! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:31pm on 01/05/18
- Lo and Behold - I think it is beginning to rise - just taking way more time... - deb-in-MI - 5:31pm on 01/05/18
- Maybe add a little more sugar, if you are still in proofing mode? [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 7:02pm on 01/05/18
- Rich sweet doughs are notoriously slow, especially if your kitchen is cold [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 7:12pm on 01/05/18
- I think it is all working out beautifully - in the oven now - deb-in-MI - 7:27pm on 01/05/18
- Good for you! I am glad it is rising--I think Michigan is just a leeeetle bit colder. . . - mistral - 7:32pm on 01/05/18
- I agree! Brrrrr! - colleenmomof2 - 8:25pm on 01/05/18
- Where did I go wrong (and it wasn't the dough - lol) - deb-in-MI - 8:29pm on 01/05/18
- I think next time you need a different dough recipe, Deb - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:40pm on 01/06/18
- Thanks so much Cathy! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:46pm on 01/06/18
- For monkey bread you can even use frozen supermarket bread dough with - Charley - 6:57pm on 01/07/18
- Yes - I was just trying to 'elevate it ' with w/ brioche. Lessen Learned - keep it simple! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 7:38pm on 01/07/18
- As said that dough will take longer to rise and room temp may also be cooler. Glad it worked out!! [NT] - Charley - 8:50pm on 01/05/18
- In cold weather (like now) I put the dough on top of my fridge - nice even not-to-hot heat - Tess - 3:24am on 01/06/18
- smart move! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 1:44pm on 01/06/18
- I have successfully used a heating pad that I wrap in a lightweight towel (a flour sack towel) and - wigs - 2:03pm on 01/08/18
- Yes! - I do the heating pad too. I saved a cardboard box and put that over to make a little "oven" - Tess - 4:56pm on 01/08/18
- What a good idea w/ the cardboard box--I'll try that w/ my hot pad inside. [NT] - wigs - 3:53pm on 01/09/18
- I made my grandmother Pashka bread last week using fresh yeast (thank you Pittsburgh). - MarilynFL - 4:33pm on 01/06/18
- Thank you for this info! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:45pm on 01/06/18
- I've used my oven with just the light on to proof bread dough. - judy-mass - 5:33pm on 01/06/18
- You ladies are so smart!!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:44pm on 01/06/18
- We are until we forget to turn the warming up oven OFF and leave the bread in there!! - Charley - 9:53pm on 01/06/18
- Judy, it's usually only around Easter or Christmas that I can find it there. Not sure when they - MarilynFL - 3:01pm on 01/07/18
- Mix up dough and freeze it for later use. [NT] - judy-mass - 5:42pm on 01/07/18
- Yes, yeast hates cold. I use the oven light trick in winter, but my sourdough is better in summer [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 5:02am on 01/08/18
- Thank you everyone! All the replies were soooo helpful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:45pm on 01/08/18