Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Easily kept in the pantry? What their Mom/Grammy/Great Grammy used? (more)
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #30078 at 9:32 pm on Jan 7, 2018
There are sure a lot of clam chowder recipes out there calling for condensed milk!
And might I add that there is always the "that's the way we always have made it" reason as well.
I think that it is just a pantry staple put to tasty use when you have lotsa clams. You don't need to run to the store to by cream or half and half, it is thicker than regular milk with more concentrated "milky" flavor, and will yield a chowder creamy tasting but not super heavy-rich.
That's my best guess!
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 30078. Evaporated milk? - Pam - 9:07pm on 01/07/18 (11)
- Easily kept in the pantry? What their Mom/Grammy/Great Grammy used? (more) - mistral - 9:32pm on 01/07/18
- Richness. Has a touch of sweetness. The recipe from Charleston Receipts that I use - Charley - 11:32am on 01/08/18
- I thought it was because evaporated milk won't curdle with long cooking times and heat. - GeorgiaRose - 1:41pm on 01/08/18
- I can and I did. Is that OK with you? [NT] - orchid - 3:35pm on 01/08/18
- Thanks! [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 3:37pm on 01/08/18
- It depends on which kind of evaporated milk you get--there is full fat and skim available. [NT] - Charley - 5:25pm on 01/08/18
- I always keep evaporated milk in the pantry - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:31pm on 01/08/18
- I use evap milk in several savory recipes - deb-in-MI - 4:41pm on 01/08/18
- My mom's recipe calls for a can of evaporated milk. [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 6:57pm on 01/08/18
- Pam and others, please post your clam chowder recipes - colleenmomof2 - 7:57pm on 01/08/18
- I'm betting it dates back to non-refrig days. Still commonly used in the Caribbean. Yuck [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 9:13pm on 01/13/18