Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Can someone describe what *baked Amish oatmeal* is supposed to taste like??
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30090 at 6:11 pm on Jan 14, 2018
Yesterday, when TCFH (The Cold From Hell) abated long enough for me to try and eat something other than chicken broth or potato chips, I made Smitten Kitchen's Caramelize Pears in Baked Oatmeal. The photo is amazing.
Mine, on the other hand, looked pale and insipid.
But the deal breaker was the oatmeal portion. Now I loved cooked oatmeal and I also love raw muesli (is that redundant?). Anyway, it's raw oats soaked with apple juice and other stuff topping it. I can do chewy. I actually LIKE chewy in this instance.
But this recipe coats the oats with something resembling a French toast batter: milk beaten with eggs and melted butter. But no sugar because a boatload is used to caramelized the pears and then more sugar is used to sweeten the heavy cream topping.
End result. The pears are amazing, but the oats were blandly chewy...and not in a happy chewy way. I ended up picking out the pear portions and ignoring the oats.
That seemed a real shame considering the time and ingredients it took to put this together.
So I'm asking you, the viewing audience. What kind of texture is Baked Amish Oatmeal supposed to have. Should it have been soaked overnight so that it was softer? Or is this what it is? Cause I really can't get on board with this. I'm going back to muesli and add caramelized pears to it.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30090. Can someone describe what *baked Amish oatmeal* is supposed to taste like?? - MarilynFL - 6:11pm on 01/14/18 (8)
- Smitten Kitchen's Baked Oatmeal with Caramelized Pears and Vanilla Cream [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:23pm on 01/14/18
- If you use LOOK INSIDE at the Amazon link, you can find the oatmeal recipe and photo. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:45pm on 01/14/18
- To me the photo shows some pretty dry oatmeal - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:56pm on 01/14/18
- My $.02 worth, and as one who grew up on a farm near one of the Ohio Amish compounds... - Richard in Cincy - 1:44am on 01/15/18
- Just like every other recipe title right now has "cast iron" - Melissa Dallas - 3:44pm on 01/15/18
- I haven’t eaten it, but several recipes mention heating it and then pouring milk over the top - MariaDNoCA - 7:42am on 01/15/18
- Looked at a bunch of "plain" recipes (no pears) and they all seem to similar. I REALLY - Charley - 12:39pm on 01/15/18
- Thanks all. Buying more pears to caramelize and sticking with my crock pot almond steel oats. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:39pm on 01/15/18