Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Smitten Kitchen's Baked Oatmeal with Caramelized Pears and Vanilla Cream
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30090 at 6:23 pm on Jan 14, 2018
1/2 C + 2 TBL sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
Split bean and rub seeds into sugar. Set aside. Save bean pod for cream step.
1 C heavy cream
2 TBL of the prepared vanilla sugar
Simmer 5 minutes, reducing to 3/4 C. Remove pod. Chill.
3 pears (Anjou, Bartletts or Forelle), peeled, cored, and sliced in half
2 TBL butter
Turn oven to 400 degrees. Zest half of lemon. Set aside. Squeeze juice from all of the lemon and toss the six pear halves in juice. Put butter in 9x13" pan and place in oven to melt. Sprinkle remaining vanilla sugar on top of butter and place the pear halves, cut side down. Add any remaining lemon juice. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
1 C milk
1 C water
2 TBL melted butter
2 large eggs
1.5 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
3 C rolled oats
Whisk milk, water, melted butter, eggs, salt and zest together. Sprinkle baking powder and whisk to blend. Add oats and stir several times.
When pears have done their 30 minutes of baking, flip them and add as much of the sugar sauce as they can hold. Then add the oats around the pears.
REDUCE heat to 350 and bake 20-25 minutes or until pear is soft and oatmeal is golden around edges.
Makes 6 servings, topped with a drizzle of the cream. Each portion can be reheated per day up to one week.
Marilyn's Notes: My version took almost 45 minutes baking time to turn golden. Is it possible that made the oats tough?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Other messages in this thread:
- 30090. Can someone describe what *baked Amish oatmeal* is supposed to taste like?? - MarilynFL - 6:11pm on 01/14/18 (8)
- Smitten Kitchen's Baked Oatmeal with Caramelized Pears and Vanilla Cream [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:23pm on 01/14/18
- If you use LOOK INSIDE at the Amazon link, you can find the oatmeal recipe and photo. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:45pm on 01/14/18
- To me the photo shows some pretty dry oatmeal - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:56pm on 01/14/18
- My $.02 worth, and as one who grew up on a farm near one of the Ohio Amish compounds... - Richard in Cincy - 1:44am on 01/15/18
- Just like every other recipe title right now has "cast iron" - Melissa Dallas - 3:44pm on 01/15/18
- I haven’t eaten it, but several recipes mention heating it and then pouring milk over the top - MariaDNoCA - 7:42am on 01/15/18
- Looked at a bunch of "plain" recipes (no pears) and they all seem to similar. I REALLY - Charley - 12:39pm on 01/15/18
- Thanks all. Buying more pears to caramelize and sticking with my crock pot almond steel oats. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:39pm on 01/15/18