Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
My $.02 worth, and as one who grew up on a farm near one of the Ohio Amish compounds...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30090 at 1:44 am on Jan 15, 2018
Amish wouldn't do something so fussy. They'd cook their oatmeal and eat it the way we've always cooked oatmeal.
However, Amish sells. So my guess is some person bored with their food thought they'd bake their oatmeal and now they're trying to "sell" it as the latest food craze.
Slap the Amish on it. People immediately think old-fashioned, wholesome, and healthy.
The same way French, German, Authentic, etc. get slapped on other American creations to give them authenticity, and to sell them.
Slap German on your apple cake! Poof! It's an old-world classic even though no one in Germany would recognize it.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30090. Can someone describe what *baked Amish oatmeal* is supposed to taste like?? - MarilynFL - 6:11pm on 01/14/18 (8)
- Smitten Kitchen's Baked Oatmeal with Caramelized Pears and Vanilla Cream [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:23pm on 01/14/18
- If you use LOOK INSIDE at the Amazon link, you can find the oatmeal recipe and photo. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:45pm on 01/14/18
- To me the photo shows some pretty dry oatmeal - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:56pm on 01/14/18
- My $.02 worth, and as one who grew up on a farm near one of the Ohio Amish compounds... - Richard in Cincy - 1:44am on 01/15/18
- Just like every other recipe title right now has "cast iron" - Melissa Dallas - 3:44pm on 01/15/18
- I haven’t eaten it, but several recipes mention heating it and then pouring milk over the top - MariaDNoCA - 7:42am on 01/15/18
- Looked at a bunch of "plain" recipes (no pears) and they all seem to similar. I REALLY - Charley - 12:39pm on 01/15/18
- Thanks all. Buying more pears to caramelize and sticking with my crock pot almond steel oats. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:39pm on 01/15/18