Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Lemon, Blueberry and Almond Teacakes from SWEET by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30095 at 11:05 pm on Jan 21, 2018
3/4 C + 1.5 TBL (190 grams) butter plus more for greasing pan
3/4 C + 3.5 TBL (190 grams) sugar (I scooped 1 cup and removed a scant TBL)
1 tsp lemon zest
2 C (190 grams) almond meal
1/4 C + 1 TBL (45 grams) flour plus more for dusting
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 C lemon juice
2/3 C fresh blueberries + 36 more for topping (or whatever you have)
1 1/3 C (160 g) confectioners’s sugar
2 1/2 TBL lemon juice
Preheat to 350 degrees. Grease 12-count muffin tin lightly with butter and dust with flour.
Beat butter, sugar and zest until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, alternating with almond meal.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, turn mixer to low and add flour mix.
Add lemon juice until blended.
Scoop into 12 pans and then divide the 2/3 C blueberries among the cakes, pushing them down into the batter. I actually split up the 2/3 C into piles of 12 to get the same amount in each cake. I think I ended up with 6 blueberries per cake.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until edges are brown and middle tests clean. I put mine on for 35 minutes, but they were done in 29 minutes. They bake perfectly flat. Let cool upright for 10 minutes, then run a thin, thin knife (I used my Vitamix scraper) around each one and tip out to cooling rack. Only one stuck and that still came out whole with a little more coaxing.
Serve top-side facing down with a drizzle of icing and 3 blueberries per cake.
The ONLY thing I noticed was my icing was ivory, as to be expected with a lemon yellow liquid and white powder. The photo in the book has pure white icing. I don’t understand that at all.
PS: While the recipe book doesn't state this, I think the 45 grams of flour could easily be substituted with a gluten-free blend of flour. But I haven't any GF mix to test this idea with. Just keep it in mind.
PPS: I ended up using 2 small Meyer lemons and 1 full-size lemon for all the juice needed.
PPPS: I only has 2/3 C of fresh blueberries left (after SK's disaster) and wanted 12 for the top. So I added 12 frozen blueberries to the batter batch. I couldn't tell which was fresh or frozen when I ate the cake. However, using all frozen might change baking time or bleed into the batter.
PPPPS: You can see how adorable his cakes turn out by using the Look Inside feature at Amazon. My icing looked NOTHING like his.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30095. Who won the O versus SK blueberry & butter face-off? Yotam, of course. - MarilynFL - 11:04pm on 01/21/18 (23)
- Lemon, Blueberry and Almond Teacakes from SWEET by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh [LINK] - MarilynFL - 11:05pm on 01/21/18
- Thank you Marilyn! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:07pm on 01/22/18
- Yes, thank you!! But there was no link or photo available at Amazon [NT] - cheezz - 8:05pm on 01/22/18
- Cheezz. Click on the book at the bottom of the page search inside this book will appear - GayR - 11:38pm on 01/22/18
- cheezz, if you're looking at Amazon on your phone, I don't think the LOOK INSIDE pops up. Follow Gay - MarilynFL - 12:24am on 01/23/18
- This image is very close [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:34am on 01/23/18
- MarilynFL, Corrections from publisher for "Sweet" [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 1:11am on 01/23/18
- Oh my goodness that’s a lot of corrections! What, didn’t they proofread it at all? [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 5:57am on 01/23/18
- Thank you, Gay. I agree with Maria. They must have rushed this to market, but I still - MarilynFL - 4:41pm on 01/23/18
- Very welcome, Marilyn. I find this very disheartening especially for someone that is a - GayR - 5:07pm on 01/23/18
- Happy discovery: I had a relapse and didn't eat the last two. Microwaved one this - MarilynFL - 4:39pm on 01/23/18
- Well, guess we both had blueberries on the mind: The real Jordan marsh blueberry muffins REC [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 10:50pm on 01/23/18
- Actually, that isn't the original recipe... - judy-mass - 12:43am on 01/24/18
- Did you see the link that includes an interview w retired baker? This is from him. - MariaDNoCA - 7:03am on 01/24/18
- I'd trust yours--I can't imagine using bread flour as the other recipe does since the - Charley - 12:50pm on 01/24/18
- [NT] - judy-mass - 1:14pm on 01/24/18
- Well bread flour does have a higher protein count than ap, but pastry flour is lower than ap. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 2:31pm on 01/24/18
- Finished Muffins from above recipe [NT] [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 2:40pm on 01/24/18
- Deconstructed muffin aka cut open [NT] [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 2:44pm on 01/24/18
- So beautiful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 6:07pm on 01/24/18
- Aw man...now I'm back to wanting the perfect blueberry muffin. Still keeping that teacake though. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:58pm on 01/25/18
- OT - Thanks, Mar and deb-in-MI! Wonderful shrimp and grits [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:40pm on 01/26/18
- :) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:21pm on 01/26/18