Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
An easy Butter Chicken
Joined: Feb 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #30096 at 9:42 pm on Jan 22, 2018
Butter Chicken (Food and Wine, May 2016)
Active: 30 mins. Total: 1 hr. plus overnight marinating; serves 4
This well-known and beloved Indian dish has plenty of onions, tomatoes and vibrant spices in a rich, creamy sauce. It’s possibly one of the tastiest chicken dishes ever. And the easiest!
3/4 c. Greek yogurt
1/4 c. plus 2 T vindaloo spice (can be ordered from Penzey’s)
3T. fresh lemon juice
8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
1 stick salted butter
2 lge yellow onions, finely chopped
kosher salt and pepper
One 15-oz can crushed tomatoes (Couldn’t find, so eye-balled it)
2/3 c. chicken stock or low sodium broth
1 c. heavy cream
Basmati rice, cilantro sprigs (if you like it), chopped cashews for serving
In large bowl mix yogurt with vindaloo spice (could substitute Madras curry powder) and lemon juice. Add chicken thighs and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
In large casserole/dutch oven, melt butter over moderate heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 12-15 minutes (or longer).
Add chicken and marinade, tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly, 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer until the sauce is flavorful and the chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice, cilantro, and chopped cashews.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30096. A friend of mine wrote and asked if I knew of any Indian recipes - Marsha tbay - 8:25pm on 01/22/18 (16)
- Raita is about as simple as it gets. - judy-mass - 8:33pm on 01/22/18
- Another easy one is Chicken Sag - judy-mass - 8:37pm on 01/22/18
- An easy Butter Chicken - Pam - 9:42pm on 01/22/18
- Get thee to Publix in the International aisle for Maya Kaimal prepared sauces. They are wonderful [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:20am on 01/23/18
- Oh. I hope your friend has a Publix near her. I've also seen Maya at other stores. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:26am on 01/23/18
- Patak's Sauces & Pastes are also very, very good and authentic [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 2:41am on 01/23/18
- If not Publix I think almost all supers of any size have these dinner sauces now and - Charley - 12:18pm on 01/23/18
- Naan bread makes a great pizza too! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:16am on 01/25/18
- Rec:. Hamburger curry - rhoward2va - 12:24pm on 01/23/18
- Made this last night. Very good! I used ground chicken; 1/2 can of chopped toms and of course - barb_b - 1:20pm on 01/26/18
- Thanks for the report out, sounds good! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 2:56pm on 01/26/18
- You're very welcome. I got this recipe from a friend who lived in India for - rhoward2va - 9:59pm on 01/26/18
- I'll would love to take a look at the naan recipe. Although yeast scares me. [NT] - barb_b - 8:21pm on 01/27/18
- Barb_b - So easy. Recipe: Naan - rhoward2va - 10:30pm on 01/28/18
- Thanks for rec! I'll give it a whirl next time I make the curry. Much appreciated. [NT] - barb_b - 11:02pm on 01/30/18
- Sorry late! CI's Chicken Tikka posted by deb-in-MI [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:17pm on 01/26/18