Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Well, guess we both had blueberries on the mind: The real Jordan marsh blueberry muffins REC
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30095 at 10:50 pm on Jan 23, 2018
I specifically was looking for something without lemon because I know my neighbors husband doesn’t like lemon. I was looking at the smitten kitchen ones as well and ended up deciding to try these even though it Called to buy pastry flour. It’s good but it’s crumbly and I couldn’t decide if it was good because I had the great blueberries I picked when I was in Oregon for the solar eclipse or not. My neighbors husband declared it the best blueberry muffin he’s ever eaten, so there’s that but I don’t know how much that’s to go off of. They were good and I enjoyed them I don’t know I can’t decide if they’re spectacular or if I’m expecting spectacular from a blueberry muffin and they don’t get get to that level. I’d certainly make these again though not so fond that they crumble but definitely going to have to try the version you posted next.
The Real Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins
4 tablespoons butter, softened
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 whole fortified eggs such as Eggland’s Best
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups frozen blueberries, thawed
1 cup white pastry flour
1 cup bread flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup whole milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, for tops
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F with rack in the center of the oven.
Spray the inside of a 12 cup muffin tin with pan spray (You will only be using 10 of the 12). Then, using vegetable shortening, liberally grease the top of the pan. Place muffin papers into the sprayed holes. Set the pan aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and shortening for one minute with the paddle attachment.
Add sugar and beat on medium for about one minute.
With the machine on medium, add one egg at a time and blend to mix. Scrape sides then beat on medium for two and a half minutes. This is important to whip air into the batter.
Add vanilla and beat for a few more seconds to combine.
Remove ½ cup of blueberries to a small bowl and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Set aside.
See how much liquid the blueberries gave up. I determined that it was a bit too much and pulled ¼ cup of liquid out which I did not use in the muffins. I did leave some juice in with the blueberries however, maybe about ¼ to 1/3 cup.
Take two tablespoons of either flour type and sprinkle over the whole blueberries and toss to coat.
Mix both flours, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Just stir a few times to mix.
Start adding the flour mixture and the milk a little at a time with the mixer running. Once they are both in, do not mix further. You want to just get them incorporated without over mixing. Otherwise the muffins will be tough.
Remove the mixing bowl to your counter and fold in the mashed blueberries. Then fold in the whole berries with the juice.
The traditional Jordan Marsh blueberry had a purple/blue tint from the berry juice.
Using an ice-cream scoop, divide the mixture between ten cups of the prepared 12 cup muffin tin. The batter will be piled high above the rim.
Sprinkle the final granulated sugar over the tops of each muffin (total 2 tablespoons) and immediately place in the oven.
Bake for five minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for 20 more minutes. (If your oven has a hot spot, rotate pan halfway through. Do not over bake. They will be soft but 25 minutes is plenty of time and they will bake a little further outside of the oven.)
Remove to a rack to cool.
Once cool, gently pry the muffins out by making sure the overhang did not stick to the pan top
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 30095. Who won the O versus SK blueberry & butter face-off? Yotam, of course. - MarilynFL - 11:04pm on 01/21/18 (23)
- Lemon, Blueberry and Almond Teacakes from SWEET by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh [LINK] - MarilynFL - 11:05pm on 01/21/18
- Thank you Marilyn! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:07pm on 01/22/18
- Yes, thank you!! But there was no link or photo available at Amazon [NT] - cheezz - 8:05pm on 01/22/18
- Cheezz. Click on the book at the bottom of the page search inside this book will appear - GayR - 11:38pm on 01/22/18
- cheezz, if you're looking at Amazon on your phone, I don't think the LOOK INSIDE pops up. Follow Gay - MarilynFL - 12:24am on 01/23/18
- This image is very close [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:34am on 01/23/18
- MarilynFL, Corrections from publisher for "Sweet" [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 1:11am on 01/23/18
- Oh my goodness that’s a lot of corrections! What, didn’t they proofread it at all? [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 5:57am on 01/23/18
- Thank you, Gay. I agree with Maria. They must have rushed this to market, but I still - MarilynFL - 4:41pm on 01/23/18
- Very welcome, Marilyn. I find this very disheartening especially for someone that is a - GayR - 5:07pm on 01/23/18
- Happy discovery: I had a relapse and didn't eat the last two. Microwaved one this - MarilynFL - 4:39pm on 01/23/18
- Well, guess we both had blueberries on the mind: The real Jordan marsh blueberry muffins REC [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 10:50pm on 01/23/18
- Actually, that isn't the original recipe... - judy-mass - 12:43am on 01/24/18
- Did you see the link that includes an interview w retired baker? This is from him. - MariaDNoCA - 7:03am on 01/24/18
- I'd trust yours--I can't imagine using bread flour as the other recipe does since the - Charley - 12:50pm on 01/24/18
- [NT] - judy-mass - 1:14pm on 01/24/18
- Well bread flour does have a higher protein count than ap, but pastry flour is lower than ap. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 2:31pm on 01/24/18
- Finished Muffins from above recipe [NT] [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 2:40pm on 01/24/18
- Deconstructed muffin aka cut open [NT] [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 2:44pm on 01/24/18
- So beautiful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 6:07pm on 01/24/18
- Aw man...now I'm back to wanting the perfect blueberry muffin. Still keeping that teacake though. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:58pm on 01/25/18
- OT - Thanks, Mar and deb-in-MI! Wonderful shrimp and grits [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:40pm on 01/26/18
- :) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:21pm on 01/26/18