Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Celery Root Puree
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30155 at 2:23 pm on Mar 10, 2018
Recipe adapted from CURATE by Katie Button
1 large celery root (1.5 pounds), trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
1 large clove garlic, smashed
6 sprigs thyme
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
4 TBL butter
2/3 C 2% plain Greek yogurt , room temp
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1.5 tsp kosher salt
Bring celery, milks & thyme to boil, then low simmer for 25 minutes. Fork test should make a piece fall apart in two.
Immediately transfer to blender, puree, then add butter and process until very smooth. Then add yogurt, lemon juice and salt.
Makes 3 cups.
Marilyn's Notes: Okay...I pretty much looked at this recipe and then did my own thing. Since I had never had this vegetable before (and it was $3.98 a piece), I hedged my bet and added two small Yukon Gold potatoes to the two roots I bought (two were still less than 1.5 pounds).
Cooked the potatoes separately since I wasn't sure how long the celery root would take to soften.
I only had fat-free half-and-half and used that, added the cooked potatoes to the finished root milk mixture, let it cool and tossed it in the refrigerator for a day.
When I was ready for the meal, I started the cauliflower and Brussel sprouts, then warmed up the celery and potato mixture in the microwave. Buzzed it in the Vitamix. It seemed a bit thin (could be the fake half-and-half didn't reduce like the real stuff would). That just meant I didn't add as much butter and only used a heaping scoop of the yogurt so it wouldn't thin out even more.
I seasoned to taste, adding more lemon juice and far less salt.
Man, do those two dishes work well together. I was scraping the edge of my bowl.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Other messages in this thread:
- 30155. My thanks to everyone who weighed in on celery root (celeriac). I tried it as a puree and yes, it's [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:57pm on 03/10/18 (9)
- Sautéed Bread Crumbs with Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts [LINK] - MarilynFL - 2:05pm on 03/10/18
- Celery Root Puree - MarilynFL - 2:23pm on 03/10/18
- that sounds awesome - pmassell_93 - 4:20pm on 03/10/18
- Do you have a Sprouts market near you, Paul? The 3 - Pat-NoCal - 6:31pm on 03/10/18
- closest Sprouts is in Petaluma - pmassell_93 - 9:46pm on 03/12/18
- That's a nice price. It was $2.99/lb. today at - Pat-NoCal - 1:07am on 03/13/18
- That IS a great price. I wonder if mine were $3.98/lb and not per? - MarilynFL - 12:44pm on 03/14/18
- I love the stuff as well and wish I could afford it.About $7 each here. Goes well with roast pork. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 9:01pm on 03/22/18
- I made a 10-vegetable stew last Monday, using celery root along with, oddly enough... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:33pm on 03/10/18