Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
J, I found a recipe for a 10 inch Bolognese Rice cake so doubling your version is fine.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30179 at 4:09 pm on Mar 22, 2018
While reading the recipe I was kind of startled to realize I just made something like it yesterday--only mine was baked rice pudding.
Seriously. Who knew they could be so close and yet so different.
Here's what I used:
1 half gallon milk (8 cups)
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup of golden raisins
1 stick of butter
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
This recipe cooks the rice/milk/butter stovetop for 75 minutes (stirring a LOT) until very thick. Then the eggs are beaten with the sugar and spices, tempered with hot rice and added to the rest of the rice.
I thought it was a little runny, so I buttered a deep Pyrex casserole and baked it off for 45 minutes at 350. Mine was 2.5" thick and the very center is still moist today, while the edges are firm enough to slice.
Your doubled version should work fine. But...if it looks too jiggily in the middle, just tell them it's rice pudding cake.
Odd little note: The Arborio rice cost $6.95 for a 2 lb canister. I was actually looking for Valencia short grain starchy rice which is only $0.99 for a 1 lb bag and cooks up very creamy for rice pudding. But I couldn't find it anywhere in Ingles. Odd, because I could always find it in FL.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30179. Make ahead Easter dessert suggestions needed ...... - Janet in NC - 2:10pm on 03/22/18 (18)
- a few questions Janet: how many people? will yours be the only dessert? will you - MarilynFL - 2:21pm on 03/22/18
- thanks Marilyn, - Janet in NC - 3:09pm on 03/22/18
- J, I found a recipe for a 10 inch Bolognese Rice cake so doubling your version is fine. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:09pm on 03/22/18
- this recipe is slightly different from Marcella's. She has never "done me wrong" so I'm going to try - Janet in NC - 5:06pm on 03/22/18
- I just wanted to see if it could be doubled. I have a flourless almond Italian cake that will NOT - MarilynFL - 11:18pm on 03/22/18
- A favorite Easter dessert for me is meringue shells with lemon curd and some raspberries - Charley - 2:51pm on 03/22/18
- Wondering if you would be wlling to share your carrot cake with special interest in the swirl. [NT] - oli - 4:16pm on 03/22/18
- I make the Southern Living carrot cake recipe. The best restaurant in Pawley's, - Charley - 9:23pm on 03/22/18
- 2) I am drooling over the croissant blueberry bread pudding REC. Would U please share that REC? TIA [NT] - wigs - 7:42pm on 03/22/18
- It's pretty much bread pudding using croissants! What could be bad about that. - Charley - 9:29am on 03/23/18
- Thank you, Charley! I appreciate your posting this. Sounds good. [NT] - wigs - 8:21pm on 05/03/18
- I love a nice big old-fashioned Coconut Layer Cake for Easter... - Richard in Cincy - 1:20pm on 03/23/18
- I'll take it to the dinner if you'll make it for me Richard :) [NT] - Janet in NC - 5:07pm on 03/23/18
- Yes! My go-to also [NT] - cheezz - 5:54pm on 03/23/18
- A good southern kid after my own heart! [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 9:34pm on 03/24/18
- Gay's posted rec: Angel Cream Melba. It is done in stages; make ahead and beautiful [LINK] - barb_b - 2:02pm on 03/23/18
- Very welcome, Barb.....love this recipe and it feeds a crowd and easy....... [NT] - GayR - 5:12pm on 03/23/18
- Cheezz's posted rec for the Perfect Lemon Bars [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 3:01pm on 03/23/18