Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Your scones will be perfect, but a Victoria cake would also work. Basically
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30209 at 10:26 pm on Apr 4, 2018
a genoise (sponge) that is split and layered with strawberry jam and powdered sugar on top. There are a million recipes for it out there after the Great British Bake-Off included it as a classic British cake.
Many of them add whipped cream in the middle.
I noticed that a lot of the British versions use self-rising flour. I've never had luck with that stuff. They also used two thin layers as opposed to splitting one single thick layer.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30209. What do the Brits mean by ordering "Tea and CAKES"? - Anna_X - 6:57pm on 04/04/18 (14)
- Your scones will be perfect, but a Victoria cake would also work. Basically [LINK] - MarilynFL - 10:26pm on 04/04/18
- Love the Gale Gand Recipe for Pound Cake Finger Sandwiches....blog [LINK] - GayR - 2:28pm on 04/05/18
- These are so pretty, plus can be made the night before. Thank you! [NT] - Anna_X - 2:42pm on 04/05/18
- Very welcome, Anna [NT] - GayR - 4:26pm on 04/05/18
- Thanks, I hadn't heard of Victoria cake so this is perfect AND British. [NT] - Anna_X - 2:41pm on 04/05/18
- Butterfly cakes [LINK] - Lana in FL - 1:10am on 04/06/18
- Oh, these are adorable! I will use buttercream instead of whipped because they'll sit out. [NT] - Anna_X - 4:25pm on 04/06/18
- Tea and cakes... - Richard in Cincy - 2:49am on 04/07/18
- Richard, post the photos of your recent tea please! [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:55pm on 04/07/18
- Here is the whole shebang... [NT] [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 2:43am on 04/08/18
- and those amazing British Cherry Bakewell Tarts? <Suh-Wooooon> recipe at the link... [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 3:42am on 04/08/18
- If I could freeze these, minus the frosting and cherry on top, ...mmmmm. [NT] - Anna_X - 10:24pm on 04/08/18
- Wow, that is impressive! I do love a good tea. [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 4:21pm on 04/12/18
- O. M. G. That is a gorgeous and inviting table! <3 [NT] - Anna_X - 10:21pm on 04/08/18