Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Is there a name for what I call Canadian Chicken Chow Mein?
Joined: Apr 13, 2006
Posted to Thread #30211 at 11:35 pm on Apr 5, 2018
When I was a kid living in Vancouver during the 50s and 60s, my mom would take me downtown into Vancouver and have chicken chow mein in china town. I think this dish was the type of chow mein was also popular in the subburbs of Vancouver. This dish did not have the sauce that is common with the US chow mein. I don't recall much vegetables at all. The chicken was shredded and had a lot of bambo shoots and brown noodles, no rice. It had a strong sesame flavour.
I believe this dish is not made much any more as people's taste have changed, but my taste buds have not changed and my last visit there no one recall this version. Of course new restaurants and chefs have moved there and have brought with them their versions. I am hoping to find a recipe that I can make at home.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30211. Is there a name for what I call Canadian Chicken Chow Mein? - oli - 11:35pm on 04/05/18 (16)
- This recipe comes close, I think. Very little veggies. Lots of noodles and sesame oil. [NT] [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 11:57pm on 04/05/18
- Thanks, but not it. The chicken is shredded and I think it was all dark meat, but not positive [NT] - oli - 12:26am on 04/06/18
- Here's one using thighs. Since you want shredded, simmer them until done and - Charley - 10:46am on 04/06/18
- oli, I remember Chicken Chow Mein from childhood in New York and what I ate was [LINK] - GayR - 11:38am on 04/06/18
- Here is a wonderful article..... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:06pm on 04/06/18
- Thanks for that article link. [NT] - oli - 3:17pm on 04/06/18
- Very welcome [NT] - GayR - 6:40pm on 04/06/18
- You are genius, Gay. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:19pm on 04/06/18
- Marilyn, so are you and so much more.......thank you...... [NT] - GayR - 12:22am on 04/07/18
- Chicken Chow Mein - Marianne - 6:51pm on 04/06/18
- So far not the one I am looking for, maybe someone for that time period and location will reminisce - oli - 1:12am on 04/07/18
- My experience... - Richard in Cincy - 2:22am on 04/07/18
- Hah! Indeed. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 7:01pm on 04/08/18
- That was absolute authentic real down-home Chinese food country then. It still - Marg CDN2 - 7:06pm on 04/08/18
- I remember that once we ordered take out and the chow mein was the same as going downtown into Vanco - oli - 12:43am on 04/09/18
- The Chinese food on the island now makes it worth the trip to VAN [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 4:29am on 04/09/18