Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30211 at 2:22 am on Apr 7, 2018
Your average strip mall Chinese restaurant serves faux Chinese for American palates.
What you were experiencing in the 50's was probably very close to Chinese.
You can't get that now if you don't know how to ask..
American Chinese restaurants cater to Americans. What we grew up with, Kung Pao Chicken, Moo Shoo Pork, and the ubiquitous General's (Z) Chicken was all made for Americans.
Since then, I have made friends with a Chinese colleague and her husband (from Shanghai and Guangzhou). I eat at their house, they eat at our house. They are enamored of the full Austrian and revel in Kaiserschmarr'n and Stollen. I'm enamored of Mom's Shanghai lacquered pork ribs and sticky braised pork belly.
They select the restaurants that we go to. They cannot abide Americanized Chinese food. The latest "IT" Sichuan restaurant in Cincinnati: I arrived first. They gave me a menu. My friend arrived and sat down and started laughing. The menu I was holding said,, in Chinese, "Chinese Food For Americans." How would I know? She quickly dispensed with that, asked for the Chinese menu, and we had amazing food.
My favorite in Chinese restaurant reviews: "It's really authentic Chinese!"
How the hell would they know?
Other messages in this thread:
- 30211. Is there a name for what I call Canadian Chicken Chow Mein? - oli - 11:35pm on 04/05/18 (16)
- This recipe comes close, I think. Very little veggies. Lots of noodles and sesame oil. [NT] [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 11:57pm on 04/05/18
- Thanks, but not it. The chicken is shredded and I think it was all dark meat, but not positive [NT] - oli - 12:26am on 04/06/18
- Here's one using thighs. Since you want shredded, simmer them until done and - Charley - 10:46am on 04/06/18
- oli, I remember Chicken Chow Mein from childhood in New York and what I ate was [LINK] - GayR - 11:38am on 04/06/18
- Here is a wonderful article..... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:06pm on 04/06/18
- Thanks for that article link. [NT] - oli - 3:17pm on 04/06/18
- Very welcome [NT] - GayR - 6:40pm on 04/06/18
- You are genius, Gay. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:19pm on 04/06/18
- Marilyn, so are you and so much more.......thank you...... [NT] - GayR - 12:22am on 04/07/18
- Chicken Chow Mein - Marianne - 6:51pm on 04/06/18
- So far not the one I am looking for, maybe someone for that time period and location will reminisce - oli - 1:12am on 04/07/18
- My experience... - Richard in Cincy - 2:22am on 04/07/18
- Hah! Indeed. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 7:01pm on 04/08/18
- That was absolute authentic real down-home Chinese food country then. It still - Marg CDN2 - 7:06pm on 04/08/18
- I remember that once we ordered take out and the chow mein was the same as going downtown into Vanco - oli - 12:43am on 04/09/18
- The Chinese food on the island now makes it worth the trip to VAN [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 4:29am on 04/09/18