Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
That was absolute authentic real down-home Chinese food country then. It still
Joined: Oct 13, 2010
Posted to Thread #30211 at 7:06 pm on Apr 8, 2018
is one of the best around (Vancouver I mean) but as Richards says, things have changed. What I liked out of my mother's kitchen isn't found much any longer either.
I recognize that it must be authentic because of the food we get here prepared by any of the huge Chinese population. It just doesn't compare. And I guess because of the 60+ years I've been eating it, since before we all started cutting corners.
My dad took us to Chinatown every Sunday (in central Canada) for about 10 years starting in the early 50s; we always ate the same things. Just going to a Chinese restaurant was a stunning feat for him, there was to be no variety in the menu. If he had ever seen the kitchen, I know we would never have returned. I did master chopsticks at a very young age.
One thing we ate was perhaps similar to what you describe but all I can recall of it was that it had very small cubes of carrot and whole toasted almonds. I loved those almonds.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30211. Is there a name for what I call Canadian Chicken Chow Mein? - oli - 11:35pm on 04/05/18 (16)
- This recipe comes close, I think. Very little veggies. Lots of noodles and sesame oil. [NT] [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 11:57pm on 04/05/18
- Thanks, but not it. The chicken is shredded and I think it was all dark meat, but not positive [NT] - oli - 12:26am on 04/06/18
- Here's one using thighs. Since you want shredded, simmer them until done and - Charley - 10:46am on 04/06/18
- oli, I remember Chicken Chow Mein from childhood in New York and what I ate was [LINK] - GayR - 11:38am on 04/06/18
- Here is a wonderful article..... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:06pm on 04/06/18
- Thanks for that article link. [NT] - oli - 3:17pm on 04/06/18
- Very welcome [NT] - GayR - 6:40pm on 04/06/18
- You are genius, Gay. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:19pm on 04/06/18
- Marilyn, so are you and so much more.......thank you...... [NT] - GayR - 12:22am on 04/07/18
- Chicken Chow Mein - Marianne - 6:51pm on 04/06/18
- So far not the one I am looking for, maybe someone for that time period and location will reminisce - oli - 1:12am on 04/07/18
- My experience... - Richard in Cincy - 2:22am on 04/07/18
- Hah! Indeed. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 7:01pm on 04/08/18
- That was absolute authentic real down-home Chinese food country then. It still - Marg CDN2 - 7:06pm on 04/08/18
- I remember that once we ordered take out and the chow mein was the same as going downtown into Vanco - oli - 12:43am on 04/09/18
- The Chinese food on the island now makes it worth the trip to VAN [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 4:29am on 04/09/18