Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Perhaps the barley was too old?
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30274 at 11:32 am on May 5, 2018
Much like dried beans, barley gets too dried out and won't soften no matter how much it is cooked, if it is too old.
I have a mushroom soup recipe that is thickened slightly with a roux and then it has some rice added and the rice breaks down and adds to the thickness.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Fresh Mushroom Soup
Recipe By :Lincoln House Country Inn, Maine
Serving Size : 12
Categories : Soups & Stews Tried & True
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
9 Cups Chicken Stock
1/4 Cup Tamari Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 Bay Leaves
1 Teaspoon Fresh Parsley -- minced
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Thyme -- crumbled
1/4 Cup Butter
4 Medium Onions -- minced
2 Pounds Mushrooms -- sliced
1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper
1/4 Cup Rice
Snipped Fresh Chives
Simmer first 6 ingredients in large saucepan for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large saucepan over low heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and stir until liquid is released. Add flour and stir 3 minutes.
Strain stock. Slowly stir into mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to boil. Mix in rice. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat before serving.) Garnish with chives.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 111 Calories; 4g Fat (37.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 1989mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
NOTES : Recipe can be halved easily.
Every good dish deserves a good pot.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30274. Mushroom soup recipe advice, please - not thrilled with barley - colleenmomof2 - 10:39am on 05/05/18 (8)
- Maybe the kind of barley? Pearl is the quicker cooking barley that is listed in - Charley - 11:18am on 05/05/18
- Yes it was pearled barley - colleenmomof2 - 12:55pm on 05/12/18
- Perhaps the barley was too old? - judy-mass - 11:32am on 05/05/18
- Rice is a great idea! We rarely have a rice-enhanced soup - colleenmomof2 - 12:56pm on 05/12/18
- We liked farro, but be careful. There is a type that is pre-something. Let me look it up. It cooks - MarilynFL - 1:52pm on 05/06/18
- It has been experience with Farro that it remains toothsome, a quality that I like - KarenNoCA - 2:36pm on 05/07/18
- Farro's on my list to try along with quinoa and - colleenmomof2 - 12:59pm on 05/12/18
- Thanks everyone for your help! - colleenmomof2 - 2:44pm on 05/13/18