Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I tried this recently and loved it. REC: Ina Garten's Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30280 at 11:53 am on May 12, 2018
Ina Garten's Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken
Servings: Yield: 4 servings
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup good olive oil
1 lemon, halved and sliced ¼ inch thick
1 yellow onion, halved and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 (4-pound) chicken, backbone removed and butterflied
½ cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
Juice of 1 lemon
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Place the thyme, fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a mini food processor and process until ground. Pour the olive oil into a small glass measuring cup, stir in the herb mixture, and set aside.
Distribute the lemon slices in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and distribute the onion and garlic on top. Place the chicken, skin side down, on top of the onion and brush with about half the oil and herb mixture. Turn the chicken skin side up, pat it dry with paper towels (very important!), and brush it all over with the rest of the oil and herb mixture.
Roast the chicken for 30 minutes. Pour the wine into the pan (not on the chicken!) and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 155 to 160 degrees.
Remove the chicken from the oven, sprinkle it with the lemon juice, cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut the chicken into quarters or eighths, sprinkle with salt, and serve hot with the pan juices, cooked lemon, and onion.
Every good dish deserves a good pot.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30280. ISO Got a favorite roast chicken recipe? Mine is only meh.... [NT] - Traca - 7:27am on 05/12/18 (19)
- I tried this recently and loved it. REC: Ina Garten's Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken - judy-mass - 11:53am on 05/12/18
- I have done a similar Ina recipe all in the oven. My go to recipe is simply to - Charley - 1:10pm on 05/12/18
- Traca, Ina's Recipe is excellent have made it many times....also like Scott Conant's Chicken in [LINK] - GayR - 12:20pm on 05/12/18
- Complete Recipe for some reason The Chew's Video does not work [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:22pm on 05/12/18
- Another Favorite - Giada's Roasted Chicken Cacciatore [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:30pm on 05/12/18
- Costco rotisserie chicken! We always buy 2 ;) - colleenmomof2 - 2:03pm on 05/12/18
- A favorite at our house as well. The carcass makes yummy stock too. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:00am on 05/16/18
- Posted by Pat Roast Chicken Breasts with Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes and Paprika - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:26pm on 05/12/18
- Pan-roasted Chicken with Olives and Lemon - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:32pm on 05/12/18
- Still my fav after all these years Garlic Roasted Chicken - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:34pm on 05/12/18
- By far, our favorite as well. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 5:31pm on 05/15/18
- Salting the chicken and leaving it uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours or so was a game changer for - Curious1 - 7:29pm on 05/12/18
- I found a short version of Molly Stevens method at this link. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 7:39pm on 05/12/18
- Agree with this. It does make a difference. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:33pm on 05/13/18
- Ditto [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:28pm on 05/13/18
- I have a “beer can” chicken roaster that I use to do chicken on the grill - Janet in NC - 1:44am on 05/13/18
- It's crazy but I have never shared my roast chicken recipe here or anywhere? - Heather_in_SF - 3:59pm on 05/16/18
- Marcella Hazan's Roast Chicken with Lemon - Pam - 6:34pm on 05/18/18
- This is awesome! Thank you. I'll be working through the list. (((HUGS))) [NT] - Traca - 7:26pm on 05/22/18