Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Marcella Hazan's Roast Chicken with Lemon
Joined: Feb 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #30280 at 6:34 pm on May 18, 2018
Italian, Chicken, Lemon
3- to 4-pound chicken
Black pepper, ground fresh from the mill
2 rather small lemons
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wash the chicken thoroughly in cold water, both inside and out. Pat it thoroughly dry all over with cloth or paper towels.
Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and black pepper on the chicken, rubbing it with your fingers over all its body and into its cavity.
Soften each lemon by placing it on a counter and rolling it back and forth. Puncture the lemons in at least 20 places each, using a sturdy round toothpick, a trussing needle, a sharp-pointed fork, or similar implement.
Place both lemons in the bird's cavity. Close up the opening with toothpicks or with trussing needle and string. Close it well, but don't make an absolutely airtight job of it because the chicken may burst. Run kitchen string from one leg to the other, tying it at both knuckle ends. Leave the legs in their natural position without pulling them tight. If the skin is unbroken, the chicken will puff up as it cooks, and the string serves only to keep the thighs from spreading apart and splitting the skin. (Never happened for me, oh well).
Put the chicken into a roasting pan, breast facing down. Do not add cooking fat of any kind. This bird is self-basting, so you need not fear it will stick to the pan. Place it in the upper third of the preheated oven. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over to have the breast face up. When turning it, try not to puncture the skin. If kept intact, the chicken will swell like a balloon, which makes for an arresting presentation at the table later. Do not worry too much about it, however, because even if it fails to swell, the flavor will not be affected.
Cook for another 30 to 35 minutes, then turn the oven thermostat up to 400 degrees, and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Calculate between 20 and 25 minutes total cooking time for each pound. There is no need to turn the chicken again.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30280. ISO Got a favorite roast chicken recipe? Mine is only meh.... [NT] - Traca - 7:27am on 05/12/18 (19)
- I tried this recently and loved it. REC: Ina Garten's Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken - judy-mass - 11:53am on 05/12/18
- I have done a similar Ina recipe all in the oven. My go to recipe is simply to - Charley - 1:10pm on 05/12/18
- Traca, Ina's Recipe is excellent have made it many times....also like Scott Conant's Chicken in [LINK] - GayR - 12:20pm on 05/12/18
- Complete Recipe for some reason The Chew's Video does not work [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:22pm on 05/12/18
- Another Favorite - Giada's Roasted Chicken Cacciatore [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:30pm on 05/12/18
- Costco rotisserie chicken! We always buy 2 ;) - colleenmomof2 - 2:03pm on 05/12/18
- A favorite at our house as well. The carcass makes yummy stock too. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:00am on 05/16/18
- Posted by Pat Roast Chicken Breasts with Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes and Paprika - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:26pm on 05/12/18
- Pan-roasted Chicken with Olives and Lemon - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:32pm on 05/12/18
- Still my fav after all these years Garlic Roasted Chicken - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:34pm on 05/12/18
- By far, our favorite as well. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 5:31pm on 05/15/18
- Salting the chicken and leaving it uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours or so was a game changer for - Curious1 - 7:29pm on 05/12/18
- I found a short version of Molly Stevens method at this link. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 7:39pm on 05/12/18
- Agree with this. It does make a difference. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:33pm on 05/13/18
- Ditto [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:28pm on 05/13/18
- I have a “beer can” chicken roaster that I use to do chicken on the grill - Janet in NC - 1:44am on 05/13/18
- It's crazy but I have never shared my roast chicken recipe here or anywhere? - Heather_in_SF - 3:59pm on 05/16/18
- Marcella Hazan's Roast Chicken with Lemon - Pam - 6:34pm on 05/18/18
- This is awesome! Thank you. I'll be working through the list. (((HUGS))) [NT] - Traca - 7:26pm on 05/22/18