Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Update on Mission 'Salt Rising Bread'
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30305 at 8:27 pm on May 29, 2018
The potato starter took two days outside, but it finally burst into foamy bacterial life on Sunday.
Unfortunately I couldn't bake yesterday because of a family picnic, so I fed them and tucked them into the warmed oven.
I got up this morning and started. The first thing is to take the starters and make sponges, to pump them up with food. Two hours later they were growing like mad: 1/3 to 1/2 increase in size, top is bubbling.
Since I made two starters, to follow this experiment through, I had two batches of bread to make.
So Mr. Potato was to the top of the bowl so he went first, took more flour than the recipe called for to get a nice dough, but with all of the earlier beating and gluten development (Recipe: "Beat until the arm rebels"--no problem with professional kitchenaid!) the dough was so smooth, satiny, and with just a little kneading out on the bread board, very pliable and non-sticky dough. Three loaves shaped and placed in the buttered bread pans.
Next, the corn-based version worked up just the same. It didn't have as much liquid so made a little less. 2 big loaves and a smaller round loaf. I wish you could smell the kitchen. All of that dough and the smell of a nice ripe Italian cheese.
I have 6 loaves of bread proofing in the warm oven (large hotel pan filled with hot water on the bottom shelf) and I'll be baking here in a couple minutes. I've been documenting the entire process with photos and I will post the start to finish soon.
I cannot wait to eat fresh salt-rising bread for dinner tonight!
Other messages in this thread:
- 30305. More on salt-rising bread starters... - Richard in Cincy - 4:51pm on 05/27/18 (11)
- I'll be interested in hearing your results. - judy-mass - 6:02pm on 05/27/18
- Interested in the results too. And it is only 70 degrees in my house today. Raining. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:37pm on 05/27/18
- SUCCESS!!!! - Richard in Cincy - 4:15pm on 05/28/18
- Yay! [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 12:49am on 05/29/18
- Update on Mission 'Salt Rising Bread' - Richard in Cincy - 8:27pm on 05/29/18
- Salt-Rising Bread Photos. [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 2:24am on 05/30/18
- You are a scientist! [NT] - Anna_X - 3:37am on 05/30/18
- This looks amazing, Richard! [NT] - Lana in FL - 9:32pm on 05/31/18
- I am hoping to visit my mother in July and make some bread, perhaps it will - Heather_in_SF - 10:40pm on 05/31/18
- Do try it... - Richard in Cincy - 2:16am on 06/09/18
- It's so funny, when mom moved up there she used to make sourdough from my starter - Heather_in_SF - 6:56pm on 06/21/18