Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
*^#$^&&^^% [insert swear word of choice]. While in NYC, I tried a few items from Milk Bar,
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30312 at 1:07 pm on May 30, 2018
Christina Tosi's ode to sugar treats made for common folk.
Really. Everything is extremely sweet and falls back on childhood memories, like multi-colored cereal that may possibly contain every chemical in the periodic table and colorful jimmies and marshmallows and Cheetos.
But the Key ingredient is SO. MUCH. SUGAR.
Anyway, I tried one of her Corn Cookies and it was good. To me, it immediately tasted like a schmooshed flat and crisp'd version of my uber-sweet corn bread (actually, Disney Wilderness Lodge's corn bread. Containing: Lots of sugar. Lots of butter. In fact, I will NEVER call it corn bread if I serve it here in western NC because I would be shot. Then shot again. Corn bread here is bread made of corn meal. And some buttermilk. Not much else.)
Anyway, I kept the cookie wrapper with ingredients to remind myself to try them out. I also picked up a container of freeze-dried corn at Milk Bar because I knew this was a "special" ingredient. $6. Okay, I'm fine with that.
Back now in NC, I looked at ingredient list on the wrapper and here's what it says:
UNBLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR
BROWN RICE SYRUP
GOLDEN FLAXSEED MEAL
Crap. I don't have Brown Rice Syrup because I tossed out the jar I bought forever ago and used only once. And I don't have flaxseed because apparently I don't care enough for the internal workings of my heart to give it Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Nor did I have corn flour, which in one recipe I briefly scanned called for BOTH freeze-dried corn powder AND corn flour.
Okay. So now we've got to add in:
Brown Rice Syrup: $14.99
Flaxseed Meal: $5.99
Corn flour: $4.19
Plus tax because, unlike Florida, NC charges tax on food.
I finally figured I was ready to make these and LO AND BEHOLD, not a single recipe online calls for BROWN RICE SYRUP. NOR FLAXSEED. NOR CORN FLOUR.
I've got Tosi's older book on reserve at the library and am wondering what I'll find in there, because I'm assuming most of the recipes online will have come from that.
Damn. I just wasted $25 plus tax on ingredients for a cookie that will NOT end up tasting like the one I bought in NYC.
[insert groan of disgust at self for not researching better]
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30312. *^#$^&&^^% [insert swear word of choice]. While in NYC, I tried a few items from Milk Bar, - MarilynFL - 1:07pm on 05/30/18 (19)
- Corn flour is cornstarch. - Charley - 1:11pm on 05/30/18
- No. I don't believe so. Per *Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Corn Flour, Stone Ground* - MarilynFL - 1:18pm on 05/30/18
- Marilyn is correct - [LINK] - desertculinary - 11:40pm on 05/30/18
- It depends on where you come from. Where I come from, originally, ... - Lana in FL - 12:30am on 05/31/18
- I don't see any of nlb's RECs posted here. Could U add those corn muffins, pls, Lana? TIA [NT] - wigs - 3:53pm on 05/31/18
- If you use NLB as the subject to search on this site, there are several recipes posted by others. [NT] - Curious1 - 6:46pm on 05/31/18
- We lost a boatload of Gail's recipes when they shut down the site before they could get to Finer - MarilynFL - 12:02am on 06/01/18
- Brilliant suggestion, Curious1! TY. I was merely putting "nlb" in the Userid line & got nada. I - wigs - 1:52pm on 06/01/18
- REC nlb's corn muffins - Lana in FL - 9:28pm on 05/31/18
- Oh...lots of butter and sugar. ymmm. nlb would be shot in NC too. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:03am on 06/01/18
- Yes, she said that the sugar could be omitted, but she liked it. [NT] - Lana in FL - 12:12am on 06/01/18
- Thank you for posting the REC, Lana in FL! [NT] - wigs - 1:54pm on 06/01/18
- You're so welcome! [NT] - Lana in FL - 12:16am on 06/03/18
- I do stand corrected and this sounds SO much more correct. - Charley - 7:42pm on 05/31/18
- You can make your own corn flour by grinding cornmeal into a fine powder in a food processor. Did it - Pat-NoCal - 11:37pm on 05/31/18
- I thought of doing that using my grits, but the store had a bag of the stuff. - MarilynFL - 12:10am on 06/01/18
- Her corn cookies I made - we loved them [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 1:24pm on 05/30/18
- Um,,, I meant - here is the recipe of hers I used for the corn cookies [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:21pm on 05/30/18
- Danke, Deb. Yours must have been the recipe I remembered with both corns. - MarilynFL - 6:09pm on 05/31/18