Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
After an epic fail and one mediocre result, I am giving up on the egg replacer I tried,
Joined: Dec 21, 2005
Posted to Thread #30316 at 10:49 pm on May 31, 2018
Follow Your Heart brand.
I used to to make brownies and they took so long to bake and fell apart in the middle but tasted fine. I thought it could have been from the extra bourbon I added instead of vanilla but I was careful about the total liquid volume.
I tried to make the cranberry pecan coffee cake using frozen cranberries. The batter looked perfect but it never got baked through, even after 70 minutes. The tester came out clean but as it rested it collapsed in the center, just like a fail on the Great British Baking Show. When I cut into a slice the center was sludge. I tried microwaving it, thinking it might be a way to firm up the center, but that didn't help. Then I broke it up into pieces and baked it as a crumble and served it over yogurt and ice cream. So disappointing. I am thinking it was the eggs and not the cranberries being frozen rather than fresh. Since many of you tried the recipe - sorry I didn't link it here - I presumed it worked as a frozen version. Anyway, I am going to try other non-egg subs like yogurt mixed with extra baking soda/powder, and maybe give the flax seed slurry a try again (although I dislike the overly nutty flavor). Chia seeds likewise, they're too dark and I just want a coffee cake or a yellow cake at this point.
So disappointing and a waste of expensive groceries.... ((wipes a tear))
Also my espresso machine has died - RIP - I'm going to ask Nespresso to fix it again but it's out of warranty and I will have to pay. ((sniff))
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 30316. After an epic fail and one mediocre result, I am giving up on the egg replacer I tried, - Heather_in_SF - 10:49pm on 05/31/18 (11)
- Have you tried - desertculinary - 11:49pm on 05/31/18
- Yes, I have used it for breading savories, making cocktails, and meringues - Heather_in_SF - 9:04pm on 06/04/18
- Now I'm ashamed of all my bit@hing about failures and I can use eggs. My heart goes out to - MarilynFL - 11:59pm on 05/31/18
- Thanks Marilyn, I do miss the old days of baking! I love everyone's stories though - Heather_in_SF - 9:04pm on 06/04/18
- Have you tested your oven for correct temperature? Just a thought. ;o) [NT] - Charley - 2:00pm on 06/01/18
- Yes, this is what I thought also. Do any other baked goods come out of your oven. . . - mistral - 3:55pm on 06/03/18
- Yeah, my oven is fine is so is my friend's - before I had the egg issue I baked all of the time. [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 9:00pm on 06/04/18
- This morning someone was offering a Nespresso for free on Nextdoor. Lemme see if it's - Pat-NoCal - 4:57pm on 06/01/18
- Shoot, it's gone. I messaged her - Pat-NoCal - 5:05pm on 06/01/18
- Oh that is so sweet of you, I bet it was gone in a snap - I looked it up and it's $229 - Heather_in_SF - 9:02pm on 06/04/18
- I just use real eggs. The stories of the processed egg replacements are just scary. - Richard in Cincy - 1:47am on 06/09/18