Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Oh, a lot of this was my own fault. Let me enumerate the ways I was stupid:
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30328 at 4:09 pm on Jun 6, 2018
1. One batch of organic rhubarb (a tad red at the ends...90% green) gave me 2 3/4 C. So I added some bitter organic strawberries to that to get to 5 cups.
2. Then I mentioned at the library I was making rhubarb pie and the piteous plea was enough to send me to Ingles where I bought some ruby red stalks ($4.98/lb = $6.50 for 5 stalks). That gave me 4 cups, so I added more strawberries
2a. When I cut off the bottoms of these beautiful red stalks, the knife pulled entire strips of the red off...like I was stripping off old wallpaper. So much for beautiful red stalks...these were just as green underneath.
3. Then I mixed the filling all up. So note, I've double the basic recipe.
4. The problem was, I had only made one batch of two-layer pie dough, so I divied it up like this: bottom crust for a very short-sided 8" pie pan, bottom crust for a small 5" casserole, bottom & top crust for 6" skillet.
5. Then I REALLY MOUNDED IN THE FILLING.
6. Since I didn't have enough dough for top crusts, I made crumb topping and put it on the 8" and the casserole.
7. Reread #6 again. I think this was my BIGGEST mistake. When the recipe author added the top crust, she sealed top and bottom together, so the steam goes out the slits...JUST LIKE IT DID FOR MY 6" pie.
8. I had literally NOTHING to stop the filling from bubbling up and overflowing the edges of both the pie or the casserole. I didn't even have enough dough to build up a rim, so this one is on me.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30328. rhubard: well, that was an experience I need not replicate. Ever. Just finished scrubbing my oven - MarilynFL - 10:34pm on 06/05/18 (20)
- OK, now that John and I have had a really good laugh let me say... [LINK] - orchid - 11:50pm on 06/05/18
- Good thing your oven wasn't all aluminum. My mom used to use rhubarb to scour her junk aluminum pans - Marg CDN2 - 3:05am on 06/06/18
- So very sorry to hear of your Class 4 disaster, Marilyn - colleenmomof2 - 10:19am on 06/06/18
- When I wasn't LOLing I was feeling your pain.... - deb-in-MI - 11:21am on 06/06/18
- I see above you mention an 8-inch pie pan. Did you use it instead of 9-inch? [NT] - Curious1 - 2:35pm on 06/06/18
- yep...with NO raised rim either. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:10pm on 06/07/18
- My goodness Marilyn. Most of us have had boil-overs but that was a bad one - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:21pm on 06/06/18
- Oh, a lot of this was my own fault. Let me enumerate the ways I was stupid: - MarilynFL - 4:09pm on 06/06/18
- This reminds me of this recipe poem... :-) - MariaDNoCA - 5:44am on 06/07/18
- LOL Maria love the poem. Yes Marilyn, maybe next time do it differently [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:28pm on 06/07/18
- Maria Update: my neighbor, born and raised in SC, said this was the BEST rhubarb pie he's ever had. - MarilynFL - 3:51pm on 06/06/18
- All that mess to clean up for a pie you didn't even LIKE. Bummer! [NT] - wigs - 7:45pm on 06/06/18
- Oh.My.Goodness! - MariaDNoCA - 4:04am on 06/07/18
- well....actually...GayR sent me a hint to reduce the liquid (thanks, Gay!) and the neighbor IM'd me - MarilynFL - 1:50pm on 06/07/18
- My mother never liked the gap that would sometimes form between her top pie crust and apples so she - wigs - 3:29pm on 06/07/18
- I drain off the majority of liquid and add less flour than called for. Sometimes I'll - MarilynFL - 7:36pm on 06/07/18
- Mucho thanks for tip about NOT adding any flour until ready to fill the bottom pie crust. I would - wigs - 7:58pm on 06/08/18
- I also like tapioca as a thickener in crisps, etc. How much tapioca to replace a tblsp of flour? [NT] - Curious1 - 9:41pm on 06/08/18
- I have an Austrian recipe for Rhubarb Kisses from Austria that are amazing... [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 1:53am on 06/08/18
- Speaking of rhubarb, you might enjoy this German rhubarb tongue-twister... [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 12:34am on 06/09/18