Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
oh man, I just threw shade on a purchased cookie and it turns out I'm a GF/Paleo snob.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30344 at 2:11 pm on Jun 12, 2018
I've been stopping at every store in my new local area, seeing what's what and basically avoiding all the work I have to do at home.
Yesterday, I was told about a small grocery store that sells local trout products (frozen, smoked, etc) so I stopped in. Stupidly, I did it right after lunch, so I had neither the craving nor the inclination for fish of any kind. But since I was there, I bought a coffee and a small package of cookies from a local bakery. As I live ~30 miles from Asheville, a concentric circle of businesses means there is a brewery, a bakery, a gun shop or a church within 10 feet in any direction.
Anyway, I'm walking down the street, trying to avoid the influx of visitors who are ALL walking their dogs and spread out across the width of the sidewalk like a posse, while sipping my coffee and ripping open the package of cute little mounded cookies. I had no idea what they were made of, but I can spot a mini-chocolate chip from 30 paces, so I figured I was in for homemade chocolate chip cookie.
And it was. Kind of. Sorta
I took a small bite, then another and then I ACTUALLY stopped and looked at the cookie, trying to figure out what was odd about it. It had a nice golden color and I was impressed how they managed to keep it so mounded...mine always spread somewhat.
My tongue was doing its own analysis: the texture was gritty, the taste not very sweet and the chips were a tad off. I wondered then if they used carob chips and that was throwing me.
Finally, I turned the package over and read the ingredients:
GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.
Organic almond flour, dairy-free dark chocolate chips, organic palm oil shortening, Omega-3 enriched eggs, organic coconut sugar, honey, organic coconut flour, pure vanilla extract, baking soda, salt.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30344. oh man, I just threw shade on a purchased cookie and it turns out I'm a GF/Paleo snob. - MarilynFL - 2:11pm on 06/12/18 (6)
- I readily admit 2 being a member of yr club--if it's that healthy, VERY doubtful I'll like it! [NT] - wigs - 1:52pm on 06/13/18
- Ugh, someone talked me into coconut sugar once telling me how great it was. - KarenNoCA - 1:57pm on 06/13/18
- I love coconut sugar. It's great sprinkled over Greek yoghurt. But it doesn't seem to set.. - Lana in FL - 1:34pm on 06/14/18
- It's good in coffee [NT] - cheezz - 8:21pm on 06/15/18
- Well the ingredients all sound nice, and usually milk isn't in dark chocolate, BUT! - Heather_in_SF - 5:40pm on 06/14/18
- Actually, when I ate the other two--knowing what was what--I could appreciate the - MarilynFL - 9:37pm on 06/14/18