Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Okay, this was a surprise. The recipe on the bottle is a basic pound cake...and it's not half bad!
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30348 at 4:28 pm on Jun 18, 2018
In fact, I'd have to admit it's better than one or two of the 100% butter versions I've tried over the decades,
No, let me rephrase that: it's not better, it's just solidly predicable in a good way. I baked it in two 9x5 bread pans (volume is the same as a 10" tube pan so I thought slicing it would be easier. And it did slice beautifully.)
The taste reminds me of a boxed cake mix back when they had texture and density. Since there was no real butter (but a lot of fat) the Superior flavoring (note they don't call it an extract) carries the day. Six uber-fresh eggs from spoiled rotten hens are the sole rising agent. The loaves didn't peak or develop a crack down the middle; just baked into a nice solid block of cake.
I just dropped off 20 3/4" slices and was transferring them amid the bright red faux strawberry cake from Ingles/Walmart/who knows that was today's plated dessert. The volunteer in charge of this church group walked over to thank me and looked down. And this is what she said:
"This looks homemade!"
Score one for Superior's Periodic Table of Happiness.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30348. I just bought a *NC* ingredient that slightly terrifies me: Superior Vanilla, Butter & Nut Flavor - MarilynFL - 12:06am on 06/16/18 (10)
- Be careful of spontaneous combustion! - MariaDNoCA - 1:43am on 06/16/18
- Please let us know how fast this goes - colleenmomof2 - 1:14pm on 06/16/18
- sorry, that won't be possible. Free lunch is provided 5 days a week & a different church - MarilynFL - 1:28pm on 06/16/18
- Ooops - thought this was one of your famous pot-lucks [NT] - colleenmomof2 - 1:53pm on 06/16/18
- Those are over and done with since I retired from Lockheed. Now I bake to give away. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:03pm on 06/16/18
- Okay if the cake glows in the dark, as long as you don't! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 3:47pm on 06/16/18
- Okay, this was a surprise. The recipe on the bottle is a basic pound cake...and it's not half bad! - MarilynFL - 4:28pm on 06/18/18
- Did you use margerine or butter? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:33pm on 06/18/18
- 2 sticks of Imperial Margarine ($1 a box!) and 1/2 C Crisco. This cake is so solid it - MarilynFL - 4:44pm on 06/18/18
- Oh...oh...Madeira cake! That's what this reminds me of! Years ago when I first started playing - MarilynFL - 4:52pm on 06/18/18