Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
There is a general rule: anything over a year old should be tossed
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30401 at 4:14 pm on Jul 15, 2018
Smelling them won't really give you a guide- the pungency of spices and herbs deteriorates and how would you gauge what something USED to smell like?
Generally the herbs and spices you use get used up so you buy fresh ones and the ones you never or hardly ever use are the ones that get tossed. It isn't that old herbs and spices will hurt you but if you use old ones the pungency is not there so why bother.
I have a lot of herbs and spices but I do go through them and toss the old ones every year. Some are kept in the freezer and I do keep those longer as they seem to hold up better.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30401. Purging/reorganizing my spice cabinet...can I go by the smell test for tossing stuff? - LisainLA - 9:36pm on 07/14/18 (11)
- There is a general rule: anything over a year old should be tossed - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:14pm on 07/15/18
- Thanks Cathy, I was thinking if I close my eyes and smell, if I can't tell what it - LisainLA - 2:28pm on 07/16/18
- Just for the record, I've noticed the newest order from Penzeys has bottles dated into 2020. Their - Curious1 - 6:28pm on 07/16/18
- Yes, I hav so many spices I bought and ended up using only a few times, but I know if I - LisainLA - 4:26am on 07/17/18
- No matter what the spice, they all seem to keep better in tightly lidded GLASS jars. . . - mistral - 5:08pm on 07/17/18
- I buy my most used spices and herbs from Penzeys in bulk. I refill the small glass jars - KarenNoCA - 2:35pm on 07/18/18
- I do smell them. And some definitely smell like old tea leaves so out they go. But honestly, I have - Marg CDN2 - 2:35am on 07/17/18
- Thanks! I have some very old basil frm my sister-in-law's garden that is still very potent and - LisainLA - 4:27am on 07/17/18
- I have home grown oregano that must be over two years old now, in a glass jar. . . - mistral - 5:10pm on 07/17/18
- I took a class with Perla Meyers one time, and she said that if your dried spice was more than - wigs - 12:47pm on 07/25/18
- Yes, I do get the waste not aspect....and I have some spices of unknown vintage - LisainLA - 3:49pm on 07/25/18