Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Just for the record, I've noticed the newest order from Penzeys has bottles dated into 2020. Their
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30401 at 6:28 pm on Jul 16, 2018
catalog used to say up to two years, if I remember correctly and I think whole spices such as allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, star anise and such have an even longer shelf life. However, ground ginger loses it's aroma really quickly. Sometimes, if using an herb I know is older than that, I use extra, up to twice as much, depending upon what I'm putting it in.
I will laughingly tell you that if you discard something, you will soon pick up a recipe that calls for it. That has happened to me with other things also. I can have something sitting around never touched except to pack and unpack in a new location. Then I decide I should get rid of it and soon wish I hadn't. I think it's part of Murphy's law.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30401. Purging/reorganizing my spice cabinet...can I go by the smell test for tossing stuff? - LisainLA - 9:36pm on 07/14/18 (11)
- There is a general rule: anything over a year old should be tossed - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:14pm on 07/15/18
- Thanks Cathy, I was thinking if I close my eyes and smell, if I can't tell what it - LisainLA - 2:28pm on 07/16/18
- Just for the record, I've noticed the newest order from Penzeys has bottles dated into 2020. Their - Curious1 - 6:28pm on 07/16/18
- Yes, I hav so many spices I bought and ended up using only a few times, but I know if I - LisainLA - 4:26am on 07/17/18
- No matter what the spice, they all seem to keep better in tightly lidded GLASS jars. . . - mistral - 5:08pm on 07/17/18
- I buy my most used spices and herbs from Penzeys in bulk. I refill the small glass jars - KarenNoCA - 2:35pm on 07/18/18
- I do smell them. And some definitely smell like old tea leaves so out they go. But honestly, I have - Marg CDN2 - 2:35am on 07/17/18
- Thanks! I have some very old basil frm my sister-in-law's garden that is still very potent and - LisainLA - 4:27am on 07/17/18
- I have home grown oregano that must be over two years old now, in a glass jar. . . - mistral - 5:10pm on 07/17/18
- I took a class with Perla Meyers one time, and she said that if your dried spice was more than - wigs - 12:47pm on 07/25/18
- Yes, I do get the waste not aspect....and I have some spices of unknown vintage - LisainLA - 3:49pm on 07/25/18