Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I took a class with Perla Meyers one time, and she said that if your dried spice was more than
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #30401 at 12:47 pm on Jul 25, 2018
6 months old(!), it would be like merely adding DUST to your food. She totally crinkled up her nose when she made that remark. Of course, she is a purist and a perfectionist.
I agree with what CathyZ wrote, and I replace my dried spices at the 1-year mark. I always use an indelible Sharpie to write the date on the bottle itself regarding when I bought and opened each spice so then there is no guess work on my part.
Used to tickle me back when my mother was alive whenever she tasted and liked a recipe at my house, she would ask for my recipe and then call to tell me hers had not come out as good as what she remembered mine being, and what was I doing differently that I was NOT telling her. !!!
I would always reply that she had to use spices that were fresher than 15 years old as I knew that was her problem. She could never throw a spice bottle out until she had used up all the spice. Waste not, want not, don't cha know? Sigh.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30401. Purging/reorganizing my spice cabinet...can I go by the smell test for tossing stuff? - LisainLA - 9:36pm on 07/14/18 (11)
- There is a general rule: anything over a year old should be tossed - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:14pm on 07/15/18
- Thanks Cathy, I was thinking if I close my eyes and smell, if I can't tell what it - LisainLA - 2:28pm on 07/16/18
- Just for the record, I've noticed the newest order from Penzeys has bottles dated into 2020. Their - Curious1 - 6:28pm on 07/16/18
- Yes, I hav so many spices I bought and ended up using only a few times, but I know if I - LisainLA - 4:26am on 07/17/18
- No matter what the spice, they all seem to keep better in tightly lidded GLASS jars. . . - mistral - 5:08pm on 07/17/18
- I buy my most used spices and herbs from Penzeys in bulk. I refill the small glass jars - KarenNoCA - 2:35pm on 07/18/18
- I do smell them. And some definitely smell like old tea leaves so out they go. But honestly, I have - Marg CDN2 - 2:35am on 07/17/18
- Thanks! I have some very old basil frm my sister-in-law's garden that is still very potent and - LisainLA - 4:27am on 07/17/18
- I have home grown oregano that must be over two years old now, in a glass jar. . . - mistral - 5:10pm on 07/17/18
- I took a class with Perla Meyers one time, and she said that if your dried spice was more than - wigs - 12:47pm on 07/25/18
- Yes, I do get the waste not aspect....and I have some spices of unknown vintage - LisainLA - 3:49pm on 07/25/18