Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
okay...deep breathe because you're gonna need to play with this puppy.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30411 at 11:09 pm on Jul 25, 2018
The center of your batter is 8" away from the metal walls which means far less heat transference. This means the edges and batter close to the edges will finish baking long before the center mass of batter.
Most big wedding cake bakers use a metal pin in the middle to transfer heat. Do you have one of those Royal Icing rose piping gadgets? It's a rod with a flat disk on the top that you pipe a rose onto and then slide it off??
Are you with me? It's called a FLOWER NAIL or ROSE NAIL.
You place one upside down in the center of the cake batter. Its metal transfers heat to bake the center batter at the same timeframe as the edges.
see attached link for this concept. They're using it to keep the center batter from doming because its edges bake first. You'll be using it to actually help bake the batter in the center of the cake.
I'd recommend testing out the method using boxes of cheap cake mix before the party and your special cake. You can always crumble that baked cake and use it for cake balls. That way you'll have more confidence dealing with a cake that big.
Another helpful hint is to partially freeze the baked layer to manipulate it easier with less chance of it cracking.
Another another helpful hint is to use a large 16" cake board to transfer it from cooling rack, etc. Don't even think that you can do this with two spatulas. I speak from painful experience.
Another x 3 helpful hint: use damp cake strips. They really do work well.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30411. Well, of course I could’ve bought a half sheet pan, but you know me... [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 10:57pm on 07/25/18 (25)
- okay...deep breathe because you're gonna need to play with this puppy. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 11:09pm on 07/25/18
- Have you met me? You know I go all in without a net... [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 12:29am on 07/26/18
- OK, turns out I do have several rose/flower nails - MariaDNoCA - 8:36am on 07/26/18
- I swear by the damp cake strips - not only do they insure perfectly even baking - cheezz - 9:39pm on 08/13/18
- Marilyn, thank you so much for this info!!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:31pm on 07/26/18
- Also, the back side of the label should tell how much batter you need for... - MarilynFL - 11:23pm on 07/25/18
- Finally, here are tips from Cake Central for another 16" cake virgin. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 11:47pm on 07/25/18
- Cake Central is soooo helpful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:34pm on 07/26/18
- Nope. I have yet to own a pan that even says its dimensions on the back. - MariaDNoCA - 12:32am on 07/26/18
- I’m going to use this pan conversation info... [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 12:46am on 07/26/18
- I've started writing pan size and weight of batter on the bottom with Sharpie. - MarilynFL - 2:11pm on 07/26/18
- I do the same thing! It's helped me out a bunch. [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 6:38pm on 07/26/18
- hi there, GR! Haven't seen you since...well, a long time. NICE to see you! [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:21pm on 07/26/18
- [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:23pm on 07/26/18
- So after added info...am I certifiable? Or do you think it will work? [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 12:48am on 07/26/18
- The difference in square inches is about 32, which is a strip of 2X16. - Charley - 11:28am on 07/26/18
- Oh ya, it will work. Use the nails...they won't hurt. And I'd really suggest a practice run because - MarilynFL - 12:10pm on 07/26/18
- Fyi I always have flat cakes after learning this tip -> [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 5:12pm on 07/26/18
- oh, I am SO trying this method! Thanks, M. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:52am on 07/27/18
- Please report out. I'll be next (after I try the nail thing in a tall pan of mine) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:47pm on 07/27/18
- I may not fill the cake - MariaDNoCA - 5:25pm on 07/26/18
- And now I’m out of the cake business...Change of plans… - MariaDNoCA - 6:36pm on 07/26/18
- This says it all: *I can make them with the kids and everyone is happy*. Isn't that the reason - MarilynFL - 8:25pm on 07/26/18
- Lol, yes it was! - MariaDNoCA - 2:39am on 07/27/18
- Cracker toffee! - colleenmomof2 - 4:11pm on 08/01/18