Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
If you like stuffed zucchini I can vouch for these Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats which
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30427 at 5:02 pm on Aug 6, 2018
are delicious. Made them again last week with green zucchini, doubling the recipe to share a couple halves with neighbors and to have leftovers the next day (they are just as good Day 2 as Day 1). I'm thinking it would be a yummy treatment for your yellow zukes too.
I omitted the bread crumbs this time as I'm low-carbing but didn't miss them at all.
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces loose sweet Italian sausage
8 ounces loose hot Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan, finely grated
1/2 cup mozzarella, shaved
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
With a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh from the interior of the zucchini, so they resemble boats. Place the zucchini boats in a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Chop the zucchini flesh and set aside.
In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and let heat through. Add the sweet and the hot Italian sausage, and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, chopped zucchini flesh, tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
In a medium bowl, add the Parmesan, mozzarella, breadcrumbs and parsley; mix to combine.
Spoon in and mound the sausage mixture into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over top. Place in oven and bake until golden on top, 20 minutes.
One reviewer said "So freaking good!". Another said "Absolutely Fantastic!"
Other messages in this thread:
- 30427. Wow! Yellow zucchini are amazing! - colleenmomof2 - 2:35pm on 08/06/18 (9)
- If you like stuffed zucchini I can vouch for these Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats which [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 5:02pm on 08/06/18
- I've made these many times. So very tasty. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:53am on 08/07/18
- And another favorite recipe I make All. The. Time. using mostly [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 5:08pm on 08/06/18
- Huh. Will need to try this too [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:54am on 08/07/18
- Forgot to note that I don't use the breadcrumbs while low-carbing. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:25am on 08/09/18
- Will try this, too. Thanks for sharing, Pat! - colleenmomof2 - 7:38pm on 08/09/18
- I add yellow zucchini to the skewers in this Rec: Grilled Shrimp and Vegetables with Pearl Couscous [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 5:17pm on 08/06/18
- Thank you for clarifying the description. My first thought was: isn't that yellow squash? [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:13pm on 08/06/18
- Yellow zukes look just like the green ones in shape -- - Pat-NoCal - 1:29am on 08/07/18